Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Athens Owl Tetradrachm, authentic?

Weighs in at 16.9 grams, the correct range. There are a few details that strike me as odd. Including the crossbar on the A on the reverse, as well as the edge seems like it may have had a casting seam at one point?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks Ok to me.
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of variation in the later issues; nothing obvious to me either, altho the edge is a bit odd. You might want to check the known fake reports over at Forum Ancient Coins:

fake reports

Also their forums are populated with a strong cadre of collectors/dealers of all things ancient so it might be worthwhile to post an inquiry on the Fake Reports and Discussion there as well.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed- the FORVM boards is the place to ask about that one.

I don't see any obvious red flags, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool piece! image
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me - not the best of care with either the dies or the planchet with the former IMO rusty and the latter not well or fully formed. I don't see casting marks either.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    What I see in your photos is consistent with a genuine example.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com