Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Spinks Patina/Retro collections

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
I thought I had the Krause unusual coins catalog (and the name clearly escapes me right now).

Digging through my drawers I found this set...IIRC a bunch of these were made in 1999 and were sold in a 2001 Spinks auction and the sets go by 'Spinks Patina or Retro'. It was a bunch of fantasy styles including this set. Does anyone have the catalog, and if so could you see if they are in there and/or have a number? I saw a few in NGC slabs (different version but same series) ages ago and I THINK they were in that catalog.

Quickie photos:

I'm going to ask this on Cointalk and NGC too, so please forgive the multiple postings image

Comments

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one was struck in 2000, sold in 2001 (and after).

The Spink Sale in July 2001 was mostly the sell-off of the unique strikes (in gold, aluminum, and a few other metals). The more common ones were sold to dealers, and then to collectors.

The one you posted is in the Krause Unusual World Coins book, and is given the number X-83 (silver), X-83a (goldine/bronze), and X-83b (copper). The mintage of this 3-piece fantasy set was 800 pieces.

My example in silver is below:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THANK YOU!!!! I remember buying it for the 'after Wyon' reverse, but the Queen looks pretty nice too.

Cathy

Yep, using that same obverse of Queen Vicky, there are also two other reverse designs with the 1879 date.

X-81

and

X-82

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

OH, and by the way Cathy....both PCGS and NGC will slab these now.

Here are a couple others I have purchased slabbed by NGC.

-Brandon

I really need to look at the Unusual World Coins book...these are an interesting group!

Originally posted by: Stork

I really need to look at the Unusual World Coins book...these are an interesting group!

They are quite lovely in hand and very high quality. I have around 150 of these for various regents, and in an array of metal types. The highest quality ones are those struck in 2000. There are some others that were struck in 2007 or after (e.g., the George III pieces you'll see sometimes). They are still high quality, but not quite up to the quality of the year 2000 pieces.

For example, this G3 fantasy below in aluminum.

-Brandon

I wonder if that would be submitted as a coin or a medal? I'll call and ask image. Customer service is always helpful.

....and the answer is 'Coins' (at least at NGC). I would have guessed medal.

I wonder if that would be submitted as a coin or a medal? I'll call and ask image. Customer service is always helpful.

Now, that is a questions I don't know. It's considered "Exonumia" in my mind (they are fantasy pieces), so I'd think they would be submitted as tokens/medals. At least through NGC that's what they are. I'm not sure what PCGS does...

-Brandon

That's what I thought, but I called them (and used the cert number from your picture). She said it was a coin submission.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They also sold huge lots of, I think 60 or 360 pcs, in the Patina sale. I got a couple of the gold for basically bullion at the time & love them.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one of the Edward VIII fantasy coins:

Southern Rhodesia Fantasy Edward VIII Crown
    From the "Spink Patina Collection" and made around 2001

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Originally posted by: 7Jaguars

They also sold huge lots of, I think 60 or 360 pcs, in the Patina sale. I got a couple of the gold for basically bullion at the time & love them.

Some large lots were sold in the Spink sale, almost certainly to dealers and since sold off piece-meal. I have seen large lots go through Londoncoins since, and a few on eBay on occasion. The mintages seem to be sufficient to go around, and these can still be had for very low prices with a little patience.
    -Brandon

How do you find the listings? Is the 'Spink Patina' generally sufficient? I'm sure back in the day when I got these (must be at least 10 years ago, and I have no idea where my receipt might be...if I still have it), I was searching 'Wyon'. Heck, I still run a variant of that search!

These are referred to in many different ways.

INA Retro Crown

INA Retro Pattern

INA Retro Fantasy

Spink Patina Pattern

Spink Patina Retro Pattern

Almost any combination and permutation of the words

Fantasy

Retro

Spink

INA

Pattern

Crown

Patina

It's an artistic search method of "brute force". image

-Brandon

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BRG - good job on the silver, I had meant to get those as well! I don't particularly like the renderings of Ed7 or G5 (as opposed to your Victoria pieces).
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does INA stand for? Google gave me the obituary of a woman named Ina who was from Birmingham.

I'm really enjoying all this information, and I agree, awesome photos!

What does INA stand for?

International Numismatic Agency, based in London.
    -Brandon

edited June 5, 2017 9:55AM

Well, I finally sent them in. This is the first one I've gotten a picture of:

:love: Looks super Cathy! :+1:

-Brandon

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2017 6:41PM

@brg5658 said:

Originally posted by: @Stork
    What does INA stand for?

International Numismatic Agency, based in London.

This is Neil Cooper's company. Do we know what mint Neil used for these?

He had some pieces struck by the Franklin Mint back in the day.

Here's some background on Neil S. Cooper on E-Sylum.