Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I just "lassoed the Moon".....sort of! The rarest card in my collection!

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have already posted this card to my Cardinals collection thread. I thought this one deserved a separate thread.

The impossible has happened for my Cardinals collection. I have "lassoed the Moon" so to speak. This week, I acquired a 1955 Topps Hocus Focus Wally Moon. This card is the rarest card in my collection, with only 1 other copy known. The other known copy is owned by Al (bishop). (When I say "known", I mean by those on this and other boards that follow this issue). This card was only recently discovered in the last few years. Before 2009, it was unknown who card #19 was in this set. Now, we know that is Cardinals outfielder Wally Moon. Of course, being a Cardinals collector that already owned the Harvey Haddix, I cringed when I found out that Wally Moon was in this very rare set. I thought I would never own one.

Last week, I got a tip that led me to this card. It came with another Harvey Haddix. Both the Moon and the Haddix have condition issues on the back. They were glued to an album of construction paper. The Moon had black construction paper on the back and the Haddix had off white construction paper. I am thinking it is possible that they were originally affixed to the "Hocus Focus" album. At least the Moon could have been because of the black paper. Anyway, I did a few minor repairs to the back and they look somewhat better. Since my original Haddix is in better condition, I have listed it for sale to try to recoup money spent. I am using the copy with back issues for my collection.

So.....without further ado, here they are!

Front

001-1955-Topps-Hocus-Focus

Back (before)

002-1955-Topps-Hocus-Focus

Back (after)

003-1955-Topps-Hocus-Focus

Shane

Comments