Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Anyone Going to ANA?

Its a local show for me, so I'll make a drop in, swing by to say Hi to Jason and Laura (and deliver some submissions) and maybe even watch the auction.

How about you?

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I plan on being there for my 47th ANA.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be there. It will be fun to be back home to visit. Hard to believe it's been 10yrs since I've been back to Orange County, wow! I'm hoping to swing by my old high school while I'm in town. image
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I went to the LA and San Francisco ANA shows. I am convinced of 1 thing. The state of California can not put on a good ANA show. I'm waiting for the Denver ANA show August 2017.

Besides, I just found out that it's the same weekend as the DCI Finals in Indianapolis. I going there.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Of course I'll be there, it's right in my backyard. image

Will be doing the usual onsite grading with both PCGS and PMG and hoping for some good results.

Forum members keyguy (Corey), rynotograce (Kurt) and pibbthug (Phil) will be making appearances too.

I'll definitely be meeting up with Tookybandit during the show to talk about notes. Anyone else from the forum going and

want to meet up during the show send me a PM.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Tootawl
    I went to the LA and San Francisco ANA shows. I am convinced of 1 thing. The state of California can not put on a good ANA show. I'm waiting for the Denver ANA show August 2017.

Besides, I just found out that it's the same weekend as the DCI Finals in Indianapolis. I going there.

Granted the 2009 show in downtown LA was very poorly attended. It was a combination of location and the bottom of the recession. You could have fired a shotgun down the aisle and probably not hit anyone.
    I liked the show in SF in 2005. The location was cool with so much to do.
    I really liked the show in Anaheim in 1995 and am looking forward to being there again.image
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    FYI:

ANAHEIM CONVENTION CENTER
    800 W. KATELLA AVE., ANAHEIM, CALIF.
    AUGUST 9-13, 2016

www.money.org/worldsfairofmoney
  • Options
    Originally posted by: golden

I really liked the show in Anaheim in 1995 and am looking forward to being there again.image

I also attended that show back in 1995 however I can barely remember it!

• Options
    ArriJacobArriJacob Posts: 21 ✭✭
    This will be my 5th ANA in CA.

1990 was in San Diego - Spring
    1995 was in ANAheim
    2005 was in San Francisco
    2009 was in Los Angeles
    2016 will be ANAheim again.

I remember them all very well.

1990 At the ANA in San Diego I got to hold the BEP uncut sheet of $100,000 with the help of Stephen Taylor President of the ANA.
    1995 I watched the Nevada National Currency collection get broken up.
    2005 I enjoyed a great meal with my good friend Robert W. Hoge.
    2009 I stood in line at the US Mint to buy 5 of the Double Eagle proofs and made $1500 for 45 minutes in line.
    2016 - Leave the show early because of my boss. (I'm not complaining!)
    In 30+ years I have done nothing positive for the hobby because I'm lazy!

--------

Collector of paper money since 1985.

California & Nevada National Bank "Guru" per Peter Huntoon

ANA Intern 1990.

Former member Board of Governors of SPMC.

Life member SPMC 126

Life member ANA 4592

IBNS, FUN, CSNA, NASC, CSNS, etc

• Options
    techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Tookybandit

I'll be there. It will be fun to be back home to visit. Hard to believe it's been 10yrs since I've been back to Orange County, wow! I'm hoping to swing by my old high school while I'm in town. image

Tookybandit, I'm with you on this: I would probably spend TOO much time with my high school classmates; and son and grandchildren. So I'll have to pass. Oh, it's been more than 10 years for me.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just not up for a coast-to-coast trip. However, it looks like I will be staying up until the wee hours to try to spend money in the Stacks auction. On Wednesday, August 10, the Paper Money session starts at 9:00 pm Eastern Time and they have to get through 500 lots before the Nationals start (groan). Guess I better take a nap Wednesday afternoon.......

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

Randy, i'll be there ... just not sure what days.

Will be interesting to see if better than LB
    US small size Federal Reserve Note collector with focus on 1928 to 1950E and main focus on 1934 to 1934D series. $5 to $100 denominations.

kurtisjohnson is my eBay ID

http://www.ebay.com/sch/kurtisjohnson/m.html
  • Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Pretty nice selection for world notes. But I'll be watching from afar. To those going, enjoy the show!
    Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx
  • Options
    JimFitzJimFitz Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I'll be at Table 551 from Monday through Saturday morning....

And on the dais on Wednesday night for Stacks auction...
    Jim Fitzgerald
  • Options
    Yep, Ill be shopping on Tuesday, and working as a volunteer Wednesday and Thursday (4 hours ea.). Also be at the Banquet on tuesday.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I will be there on Saturday. I just hope that the dealers stick around long enough! At the 2009 L.A. show you could hear the echo in the room when you talked on Saturday, and I was very disappointed. Hope it's not the same this time.

I wish the show ran through Sunday so that the dealers wouldn't take off after Friday.

Matt
  • Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    I will be there Thursday-Saturday.

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options
    Originally posted by: Flash

I will be there on Saturday. I just hope that the dealers stick around long enough! At the 2009 L.A. show you could hear the echo in the room when you talked on Saturday, and I was very disappointed. Hope it's not the same this time.

I wish the show ran through Sunday so that the dealers wouldn't take off after Friday.

Yeah that is also a problem at the Long Beach show. On Saturday about 33? of the dealers either don't show or show for a few hours and leave early. Years ago the show used to run until Sunday and more than half of the dealers wouldn't set up so eventually they shortened it from 4 days to 3 days.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I cannot remember a major show where the bourse was +50% dealers vs. empty tables on the last day. There is still plenty of fun to be had, but it's good to know what to expect.
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Did a short drop by the ANA this afternoon. Had a nice chat with Jason and Laura while submitting a few notes for Show Special grading. Saw a few friends, dealers and met a few new people.Checked out a couple auction lots and then swung by the BEP/Mint exhibit.

No matter how many times I see them, the sheets of specimen notes that the BEP displays always amaze. It is great that they share these with collectors. Took a couple quick pictures to post here. If you get a chance to see these in person at a larger show, don't miss the chance.

• Options
    I was there all day. Also stopped by PCGS and talked to Jason and Laura. Submitted notes for show grading and hoping I land some upgrades for my sets. Met up with some of my collecting friends and favorite dealers. Thought the show was rather weak for paper money and only bought two notes. Will be back again tomorrow.
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to have missed you Larry. Didn't see much of interest to buy, so a few more duckets for the auction.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: gnat

Sorry to have missed you Larry. Didn't see much of interest to buy, so a few more duckets for the auction.

Yeah I don't know how I didn't see you there. It wasn't too crowded and I walked every aisle at least 7 times.
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Keep looking, there may be some Gems hiding
  • Options
    Today was much better! More dealers showed up and there was more paper today.

Here's one I got today:

• Options
    just got back from ANA. Bought 4 notes, a couple of wood flats, and 2 coins. I'll try to post some pics of the notes tomorrow. Nothing amazing but I like 'em!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Jimjumper

just got back from ANA. Bought 4 notes, a couple of wood flats, and 2 coins. I'll try to post some pics of the notes tomorrow. Nothing amazing but I like 'em!

Outstanding... someone else that collects wood flats. Very cool.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: larry510

Originally posted by: Flash

Yeah that is also a problem at the Long Beach show. On Saturday about 33? of the dealers either don't show or show for a few hours and leave early. Years ago the show used to run until Sunday and more than half of the dealers wouldn't set up so eventually they shortened it from 4 days to 3 days.

They should have known that if they shortened the show because few dealers were there on the last day, then there would STILL be fewer dealers there on the last day. At least make the last day on a Sunday, as many people can only get to the show on Saturday. Just seems like common sense. Maybe if they wanted to shorten the show by a day they could have taken it off the beginning and leave at least one decent weekend day for those who can't take the day off during the week.

Matt