Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bust Dollar Book

msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
What's the best reference book available for Bust Dollars?

Comments

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Encyclopedia of United States Silver Dollars 1794-1804 by Q. David Bowers. I highly recommend it.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313
    PCGS Books Online:

The Encyclopedia linked on PCGS is the 1992 edition of the book.

In 2013, Bowers published a "second edition" limited to just the Early Dollars portion of the Encyclopedia, and it was massively updated from the 1992 edition -- particularly in regard to the condition census and notable specimens of each variety.

If you call the offices of Stack'sBowers, they should be able to give you further information for ordering a copy.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    30 years is a long long time - especially since it encompasses almost the entire span of certification. Someone (Cardinal!) needs to do a thorough update
  • msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the info...it sounds like the 2013 "second edition" is exactly what I'm looking for.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Bolender book issued in 1950 to get a good base used with the 2nd printing of The Untied States Early Silver Dollars 1794 to 1803 by Jules Reiver. Bowers is also good. Depends on what level you are starting out I guess.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Sure wish I had the money to entertain myself buying Bust Dollars. image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
    Originally posted by: tradedollarnut
    30 years is a long long time - especially since it encompasses almost the entire span of certification. Someone (Cardinal!) needs to do a thorough update

Thanks! I collaborated with QDB on the 2013 update, spending somewhere around a thousand hours or more updating the condition censuses and the provenance histories of the notable specimens, using my own database of sales of bust dollar varieties compiled over a 20-year period. In addition to those updates, the 2013 edition also includes several new die varieties that were discovered (or re-discovered) since the 1992 first edition.

• msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Just got my copy of The Encyclopedia of United States Silver Dollars 1794-1804 by Q. David Bowers in the mail today. Only had a chance to thumb through it, but this looks like an awesome reference book.

In case anyone else is interested, you can call the Stacks NH office at 866-811-1804 to place an order. QDB will even autograph it for free.
    Originally posted by: msch1man
    Just got my copy of The Encyclopedia of United States Silver Dollars 1794-1804 by Q. David Bowers in the mail today. Only had a chance to thumb through it, but this looks like an awesome reference book.

In case anyone else is interested, you can call the Stacks NH office at 866-811-1804 to place an order. QDB will even autograph it for free.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file