Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Doc and Darryl 30 for 30

Just saw the new documentary. Very well done. I was a huge fan of Darryl when I was a youngster. So much wasted talent. I think the Mets used up docs arm at too young of an age, but Darryl could have been so much more. Do you think this could lead to a run up on demand for their cards? It has certainly rekindled my interest.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Can you post a link to the documentary?
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The documentary is really good. I don't think it will have any impact on their card prices. A very talented duo. Both had success with the Yankees after their time with the Mets. I still have the NY newspapers from Doc's no hitter with the Yankees.
    Daniel
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I did not see the documentary. I mentioned in the thread in the Registry Forum that the last I heard of Strawberry he had founded a church and ministry in the St Louis area.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44

Do you think this could lead to a run up on demand for their cards? It has certainly rekindled my interest.

This poses an interesting thought. After all, the perception of Bo Jackson's importance to the hobby certainly increased after his 30 for 30. But, that's where the comparison ends.

Whomever has an interest in Gooden and Strawberry is already there. I doubt there will be a massive emotional outpouring of support for 2 guys who spun out of control way too often.

The curiosity of them can't be answered by their rookie cards. It must be answered by them.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dwight Gooden's Tiffany cards have moved up significantly in recent years. The 84 brings over a grand and was in the $400 range at one point and the 85 is a Pop 1 last I checked.

I could see the price for his 85 Topps regular and 85 Fleer in PSA 10 moving up some very easily. Every person in my age range had to have those cards and they aren't very expensive.

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doc is not going to last much longer if he doesn't get help. He looked awful compared to Darryl.

By the time he was 25, Doc was 119-46 with a ROY, CY, and WS Ring. Can you imagine how much his rookie card would be if he played during the current limited auto RC era?
    Mike
  • dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    ESPN has done an outstanding job with all of the 30 for 30 docs and this one really brought me down memory lane. Straw looked like he got his act together and is currently on the right path. He was relaxed and seemed to be at peace. Doc was really thin and couldn't sit still during the interview at the diner. Not great signs considering his past. Hopefully I am wrong.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    The tale of Doc Gooden is full of different fabrics blended into a patchwork quilt. And it is captivating. May he somehow find the strength to stay alive.
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: travis t
    Originally posted by: craig44
    Do you think this could lead to a run up on demand for their cards? It has certainly rekindled my interest.

This poses an interesting thought. After all, the perception of Bo Jackson's importance to the hobby certainly increased after his 30 for 30. But, that's where the comparison ends.

Whomever has an interest in Gooden and Strawberry is already there. I doubt there will be a massive emotional outpouring of support for 2 guys who spun out of control way too often.

The curiosity of them can't be answered by their rookie cards. It must be answered by them.

I think it will help the rookies, but that is it. Strawberry has already seen a rise in price on psa 10 rookies before the documentary aired. I set a high snipe on a hard to find non rookie card psa 10 last night auctioned by PWCC of Strawberry. Needless to say the card went for less than what I thought it would before the documentary aired. So I think outside of the rookies the prices of their cards will not be effected much
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies