Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I was going to put this on the toning thread but would like opinions

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
Which presentation type looks better to you? The top one has a 'transparent' background, so matches whatever is behind it.

A:

or

B:

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually prefer a black background, but the white NGC prongs make that problematic, so in this case I'd vote for A- the transparent.

Then again, the prong distraction isn't so bad in either image, and it does look very nice against the black background...

Ahh... change my vote to "undecided". Whichever you or the majority think looks better. Either way, it's a sweet looking coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    I prefer black in general (though with the spacing you have between in the transparent image).

Personally, I would use a solid color and not a transparent background for two reasons:

1) More consistent look to images no matter what site they are displayed on. While the transparent background might work well here (and in many other places), there is always a chance you will want to post the picture someplace where there is an unattractive background.

2) File sizes for png images for this type of image (coin photos) will tend to be larger than jpeg images. For example, on these images, if I downsize the png to be about the same resolution as the jpeg and resave it, its file size is still over twice as large as the jpeg file.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent points! The png one is about 9.3 MB and 3500x1750. The black is 3.5(ish) MB and 4000x2000. I had to shrink the png to upload it to the collective coin site (which makes for a nice place to host pix by the way).

I was thinking the lighter background was a bit nicer with the prongs too. So, maybe not transparent but consider going light...Or stick with black which was my initial choice.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The black looks excellent on this one! image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer black, but that's what I always use for my own stuff, anyway, as I think it makes it easier to focus attention on the coin.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Black looks way better.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I'm different, I prefer the white background.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I preferred a black background for years but have come to like white better.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JCMhouston

I'm different, I prefer the white background.

Same, looks cleaner.

Great-looking coin!
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    In this case, the black background makes the coin jump out at me in an attractive way.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC