Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1948 Leaf Baseball

For anybody out there that knows this issue well...

Does the surface of 48 Leaf cards have any sort of different finish on the surface of the card. I'm thinking that I know the answer to this question already ??
-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    The Leafers have a more matte finish, but some have a more sheen on the surface. However, true 48s do not have glossy finishes. The sheen usually comes from the ink they used. They were the first post-war cards to use color ink. The war placed restrictions on the use of colored ink. If you are eluding that you may have picked up a fake, the signs usually include slightly blurred text. Not registration issue text problems, but almost as if it was a blurry scan printed out. Also, if the card has any wear, fakes show a whiter cardboard in the worn areas. Real 48s keep the same tone of cardboard through the worn areas. If you want to send me a scan, I'd be happy to take a look.
  • Options
    JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Thx for the info! 2 things...

1. What do you mean by a matte finish?

2. How would I send you a pic of the card? I do not have a scanner but do have a pic of the card on my phone.
    -Collecting anything vintage
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    The front and back of the card should have roughly the same texture/ finish to them. Some of the reprints and fakes have more gloss on the front, and stock cardboard on the back. Thickness is also a sign. 48s are fairly thick.

I sent you a pm