• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    They've moved on to modern cards.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Only has to drop another 62k to be back to reality
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe boosting the shipping to $150 jinxed it.

When you go from 6k to 150k sellers come out. I have no clue what the card should be worth but it's not going back to 6k that's for sure.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    THE SKY IS FALLING!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The $70k PWCC Clemente was pretty nice but the $80k PWCC example was a pretty weak 8.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    At least 2 people are singing "Neener, neener, got it cheaper!"
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CrissCriss
    Nor is it going to stay at 150K....DPeck, you are always so bullish on the market, maybe you should disclose what you have.

Wrestling cards and Mike Tyson. Lots of them.

Perhaps you have missed me say on numerous occasions I don't own any of these cards and would love a do over.

I dabbled in Jordan cards in 2010 but sold them right before they took off to buy more wrestling cards.

I just think people are fooling themselves if they think they will get another bight at the apple. In the case of Jordan I sold mine for $1,250. Barring some cataclysmic economic event a PSA 9 isn't going back there. As hard as it is for people to believe there are a lot more collectors out there in many areas of the card market and competition leads to higher prices. Remember ChrisChris you can't short cards so there is no synthetic supply.

My optimism in general though since I joined the board has served me well. Both of my primary areas of focus have certainly increased in price and popularity which has been fun to be apart of.

Perhaps you should disclose what you own and if you are bringing your briefcase full of cash to the National.
  • Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    There must be a "selling gang" now!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great visual from the sold section.

The 4K Clemente is a deal IMO.

Ya gotta love the guys who sold; welcome to the 90K Klub.
    Mike
  • Options
    I believe I know that dealer who sent that Clemente OC to PWCC because it looks awfully familiar to the one I saw in hand over two months ago. The dealer wanted like 8K for that card so if that was who I think it belonged to, I know he wasnt satisfied with the final selling price.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CrissCriss
    Yes, I'll have a briefcase full of cash with my usual security detail. Come say hi.

I am not attending this year but perhaps in the future we will cross paths.

Part of the reason I am optimistic or bullish or how ever one wants to convey that message is examples like this.

PSA 10

I am sure there was no shortage of people calling the buyer of this card an idiot went it was purchased in the 94k range. They only buy slabs, that is not a 10, no modern card is worth that, we are in a bubble and on and on.

Guess what they are laughing all of the way to the bank.

• Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Correct link to the PSA 10 1979 OPC Gretzky
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mb2005
    Correct link to the PSA 10 1979 OPC Gretzky

Thanks. Not sure why it didn't load.

280k + BP with 15 days to go.

• Options
    yea, I think it will be real interesting where this one ends up too, sort of more accessible to collectors but also 60+ ish of them in psa 9. I bet it goes for 50k based on the thought the psa 10 will for go for 400k plus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142057...ame=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Getting back into the hobby after 25 years, looking for high grade cards and unopened wax boxes
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Oosh. Now waiting for the oil drop critics to chime in.
  • Options
    oh yea. Curious, but what is the perfect/correct oil drop alignment. 100% inside the circle and centered within said circle or hanging out of the top a bit? No idea, but I know others do
    Getting back into the hobby after 25 years, looking for high grade cards and unopened wax boxes
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: boogielabs88

yea, I think it will be real interesting where this one ends up too, sort of more accessible to collectors but also 60+ ish of them in psa 9. I bet it goes for 50k based on the thought the psa 10 will for go for 400k plus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142057...ame=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm curious to see where the clean cut BVG 9.5 one ends up in comparison with the simultaneous auction for the rough cut PSA 9. Considering they are at the same time from the same seller, it sure seems like a fair side-by-side. There are enough people out there who fear sheet-cut in a BVG holder, but right now with the PSA 9 at approx. 2.5 times the bid on the BVG 9.5, if you took the gamble and were able to get it to cross it would be a great investment.
  • Options
    Completely agree, will be really interesting to see how buyers value beckett's grading on this card. From what I've read on here, the rough edges are a positive and psa is the "expert" on these gretzky cards. There was a really nice bgs 9.5 on eBay a few weeks ago for 35k that looked too perfect as it had zero rough edges. This BGS one looks similar. I doubt psa would ever let you cross to a 10 even for a better looking card to keep the aura alive of 1 psa 10.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt psa would ever let you cross to a 10 even for a better looking card to keep the aura alive of 1 psa 10.

Sad that you're presuming the pop would affect the grade; I would hope that's not the case. More likely, the BGS could only cross to Auth-Trimmed (assuming that's how sheet cut would be slabbed?).
  • Options
    I agree, very sad, I'm just making an assumption of my own opinion of what they would do. I could be very wrong.
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    I agree Kyle. The BVG 9.5 has to be sheet cut and highly doubt it would cross. The owner would have done that already if it was an option based on the perceived value within the market.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options

Completely agree, will be really interesting to see how buyers value beckett's grading on this card. From what I've read on here, the rough edges are a positive and psa is the "expert" on these gretzky cards. There was a really nice bgs 9.5 on eBay a few weeks ago for 35k that looked too perfect as it had zero rough edges. This BGS one looks similar. I doubt psa would ever let you cross to a 10 even for a better looking card to keep the aura alive of 1 psa 10.

In my post I was thinking about the potential if you were lucky to get it to cross to a 9, not a 10.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: dberk12

The owner would have done that already if it was an option based on the perceived value within the market.

I think it is more likely than not that you are correct here.

• Options
    Yea, I knew you were talking a 9, just started thinking in my head what it would take to get a psa 10. A nine would be a home run at 12k