Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Set completion - 1971 Topps!

I started this project about a year ago. I already had many of the HOFers in PSA graded form so I decided to build the whole set in a grade that would approximate PSA 7, more or less. I do have a few in PSA 6 (Ryan, Rose, Aaron) and a few 6.5’s (Mays, Blyleven), as well as a 7OC Munson and one PSA 8 (Bob Gibson). The last card I needed was Jim Palmer. Some of the high numbers were a challenge as was card #1, World Champions. All in all, a really fun set build.

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Cool set. I like the mix of graded and ungraded.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Nice job, Daniel. Some of those high number SP's are tough to find in decent shape.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Daniel. Now put them all in CS1s.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    duplicate post
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! That is a beautiful set. You did great on your graded cards too from an eye appeal/grade standpoint.
    Steve
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on completing your set!!!!! image
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    NICE!!! Now upgrade that Munson! image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Great job Daniel. Your set looks awesome. Just think you completed this and the Greatest Moments set in the same year.

Funny thing is I am 3/4 way through my set and was just thinking today about trying to finish. Was on Ebay a little while ago looking at cards. I think this post is just confirmation that the baseball card gods want me to.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff! I'm 55 cards short on that set and am itching to finish it off!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq
    WTG Daniel. Now put them all in CS1s.

For the love all that is cardboard do this.

Congratulations!
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work! Are there two World Champs cards, or was the raw one later graded?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Daniel! Always something enjoyably visceral about putting together a (mostly) raw set.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go. image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Super nice set.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on a great set the high numbers are always a challenge.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job and must have been a blast to put that one together. Love the mix of raw and graded.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. It was a really good time building this set. Good to see a lot of the veteran posters on this thread as the CU board has been light at times lately.
    Paul Maul: Regarding card #1 (World Champs) - They are 2 different cards. That card was proving to be a thorn in my side to acquire in strong condition. The two cards ended the same night so I put strong snipe bids on both and ended up winning both.
    TBP: I really should upgrade the Munson. Maybe a nice PSA 6 as the 7s are a little too pricey for me :-)
    Daniel
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Daniel on finishing the 1971 set. It goes great with your Greatest Moment set. What else can you do for 1971... Coins, Scratch Offs, Supers and Tatoos ? image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Daniel,

Which card is your favorite from the set? I am assuming the Munson? I am not sure for me. I love the Ryan, Rose, Carew and Brooks Robinson.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bishop
    Congratulations Daniel on finishing the 1971 set. It goes great with your Greatest Moment set. What else can you do for 1971... Coins, Scratch Offs, Supers and Tatoos ? image

Actually, I am one away from completing the coins set (Bob Tolan). I gravitate towards 1971 because that was one of my earliest baseball collecting memory years. I know there are a few Tolans on eBay but they are either too shabby or the asking price it too high.

Daniel
  • Options
    Originally posted by: cincyredlegs
    Daniel,

Which card is your favorite from the set? I am assuming the Munson? I am not sure for me. I love the Ryan, Rose, Carew and Brooks Robinson.

Mark

That's tough, Mark. The Munson card is an icon from that set but mine is way off center. Two cards I really enjoy from this set are a few PSA 7 high numbers: Rich Allen and the Baker/Baylor rookie card.

Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel,

You cannot go wrong with those two cards. Someday I hope I can look at your set in person.

I was born in 71 so I have always treasured this set. I have literally been working on it for 30 years but have never finished it. I guess I am going to have to finish it now....LOL.

Good job again.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Awesome accomplishment!!

I haven't had the heart to work on this set as I know it will drive me crazy looking at those black borders, but it is one of my favorites from the 70's.

Congrats!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I always wondered why Topps did not find a way to remove the photographer's knee from the Allen card, which otherwise is a great card
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bishop
    I always wondered why Topps did not find a way to remove the photographer's knee from the Allen card, which otherwise is a great card

D'oh! I never noticed that before. Probably never miss it now :-)

Daniel
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! take it from someone who attempted that set (and didnt finish it)..Great job....the stack of raws look fresh and crisp!!!

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work. You are to be congratulated for your fortitude.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    congrats!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Daniel

I remember a few years ago when you posted on some 71Ts.

You've put together one hell of a set.

I enjoy reading about accomplishments - a goal that becomes a reality - and a tough set at that.

Congratulations buddy.
    Mike