Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Babe Ruth Quaker Hat - After 15 years - My Babe Ruth Cap and "new" display

Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone

I thought I'd like to share in one thread my quest for a specific "food premium."

Around 1934, Quaker started what was probably a very popular advertising campaign to offer very nice Babe Ruth premiums - some are more scarce than others - e.g. - I'd really like to eventually have the cap.

Let's start with a few of the ads that were in different periodicals of the period:

Would be nice to pick up a period box with the Ruth promotion.

I'm gonna start with a more rare premium - the bracelet - I'm guessing it's more rare due to it being for a girl.

You can see the bracelet would set ya back 3 box panels.

And here's the Emblem and "Bronze" Medal Badge - 2 boxtops per.

The Bronze Babe Ruth Champions pin and the "champions" pin back version are more scarce than the Babe Ruth Baseball Club Member pin back:

I'm looking forward to picking up the "champions" pin back.

Combination Watch Fob and Umpire's Scorer - 3 boxtops.

This one like most sans the leather strap - I've seen some with replacement straps and the original when present, they're in really bad shape due to age.

As some may know, this one with the "B" - Boston Braves - on hat - is plentiful compared to the scarce "NY" cap.

Here's the Babe Ruth Jackknife:

Babe Ruth Base Ball Scorer:

Also, they offered neat little booklets on "How to Play the Infield" - "How to Play the Outfield" - "How to Throw Curves" and "How to Knock Homeruns"

I have the booklet on "How to Play the Infield"

Babe Ruth Baseball Club Photo

I bought this one from a net board at a very fair price.

It's important to be patient with these items - prices can be all over the place - but if ya take your time? You can pick them up at fair prices.

This one satisfied this niche and my "game board" collection! This one - again - at a good price - I've seen them got for twice what I paid.

Babe Ruth "Ask Me"

The Gold Plated Ring will set ya back 2 box tops!

It's taken me years to acquire these premiums and there's quite a few to go.

If the ball or glove ever came up? Better be willing to put up a "serious" snipe.

The cap can be 3 to 400 or more.

Now, if you saw my PEP cereal Babe Ruth Ring collection? You'd think I was nuts!
Mike

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great group of items. Really enjoyed the presentation. Thanks for taking the time to post them.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Awesome post, Mike! Those are some interesting items. Hope you get the cap!
    Nate

BST References:

DanBessette, lwehlers, Lee17, 07diedrt
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Those are some swell items!
  • Options
    Golly Mike, those sure are swell! Seriously though, what a great thread. Your passion for non-cards is awesome.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    That club photo is in amazing condition, I love the completeness of it and the "Ask Me" game. This is quite the museum of Quaker promotions!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a collector of the Pep cards, I'd love to see the rings. Great run of the Quaker promos! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Thanx for the kinds words guys.

I'm looking forward to updating it.

This gave me the impetus to put up a thread on my PEP cereal Babe Ruth rings. image

As a collector of the Pep cards, I'd love to see the rings. Great run of the Quaker promos! Thanks for sharing.

Hiya Kyle - a PEP thread was put up.
    Mike
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stone193
    Hiya Kyle - a PEP thread was put up.

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I got a chuckle out of the cartoon where The Babe is offering diet tips. The Babe subsisted on hot dogs and beer for all three meals.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

Hi everyone

Been busy with a renovation at our house - so not posting much - have missed talking with many of you.

I've picked up a few additions to the premiums offered by Quaker in the 1930s.

The first one is a tough to find at a fair price.

Babe Ruth - Hitting a Homer - a Real Movie

And the pin that would set ya back 1 Quaker box top of Puffed Wheat or Rice:

Looking forward to seeing you all at the National in Chicago - thanx for viewing.

Mike
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Great update Mike.

Looking forward to seeing your new mancave.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike,

As always great stuff. Good luck with your search for these premiums.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

Thanx guys.

The carpenter is coming in tomorrow to start on my back room - full wall shelves and a complete set of shelves in the 2 closets.

Will be supplying pics when complete.

This is major!

Mike
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Wow, those items are awesome! Thanks for sharing. I have not seen most of these items before.

CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread. Really enjoyed seeing these. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Very cool items. Never seen them before. Love the look of that knife.

• Options

Thanx guys - it's always nice to hear back since most of what I collect isn't a card.

Mike
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please continue with updates on your non-card posts. I for one really enjoy seeing them. I've got a Ruth pinback that has his photo,Babe Ruth and says "Sultan of Swat". I got it in a trade 22 years ago. Not sure if it is authentic or is a fantasy piece. Suppose will submit it one day to PSA. Your Ruth pinback reminded me of it as it is a similar photo of him, minus the baseball cap.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Please continue with updates on your non-card posts. I for one really enjoy seeing them. I've got a Ruth pinback that has his photo,Babe Ruth and says "Sultan of Swat". I got it in a trade 22 years ago. Not sure if it is authentic or is a fantasy piece. Suppose will submit it one day to PSA. Your Ruth pinback reminded me of it as it is a similar photo of him, minus the baseball cap.

Thanx and will do so.

Please post a scan of your pin.

Mike
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Ruth items. You are exactly right, PATIENCE is a must in the hobby of collecting. I have learned that very well over the years.

• Options
    edited May 26, 2019 1:10PM

Thanx guys - very kind.

I noticed I did pick up a few items since I last posted on this thread.

First - the "belt buckle" with the Babe on it and also, I posted a scorer with his portrait and a "B" for Boston Braves on the cap; the one with the "NY" is much rarer. I waited till I could snag it a price I could live with.

Mike
  • Options

I just added a 2nd of the series of 4 booklets on "How to Play Base Ball"

Every time the series comes up with all 4, I've been out bid.

It appears that the deal was: 1 box top per booklet or 3 for the set of 4 booklets.

Mike
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 10:38AM

• Options

@robert67 said:
    I have said it before and will say it again. Your collection is truly wonderful.

Glad you have decided to share more frequently once again.

Thanx Robert - very kind.

Mike
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome post Mike. That is an incredible group. Can never see enough of early advertising!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Awesome post Mike. That is an incredible group. Can never see enough of early advertising!

Thanx Joe - nice of you to mention buddy.

Mike
  • Options

Just wanted to add a few more premiums from Quaker in the 1930s.

While I've seen quite a few of the Big Book of Baseball, I haven't seen many "Infielding"

Mike
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2019 5:35PM

I know this doesn't get much "love" but this is a very rare addition to my Ruth "Quaker" collection.

As advertised (not mine):

And the original envelope and "member card"

One of the items I very much want is an original BB or hat - have never seen the ball and the hat usually goes for way too much dough.

Mike
  • Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Very Very Cool Mike!!!!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya everyone

I know this stuff doesn't get anyone excited but I just wanted to share since Mary could give a rats azz.

For years I've wanted the CAP or glove. On occasion I'd see the cap and seller would want like $1500!

This one in good condition was more in the $400 range less the BP from Hunt Auctions.

Thanx for just looking.

If you're not familiar with these 1934 Quaker Oats premiums? Just take a look - I think they're pretty darn cool.

I’m delighted you finally landed the hat, Mike!

Any colors left in your Bae Ruth ring rainbow still to get?

Great job, Mike!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Any colors left in your Bae Ruth ring rainbow still to get?

Thanx guys.

Hiya Tim - they've become expensive - I guess the "Ruth" name is driving that?

I have bought 2 or 3 that turned out to be a color I have since the photos didn't represent what they were selling.

That's not the fault of the seller - so eventually I'll give someone a bargain if they want one just to have and display?

I have a total of 30 with a few doubles. Thanx for asking!

Mike
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Nice revisiting an interesting
    thread.

Congrats on the cool pick up, Mike!

• Options

@Porkins said:
    Nice revisiting an interesting
    thread.

Congrats on the cool pick up, Mike!

Thanx Scott - very much appreciated buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup Mike. Looks pretty darn nice for being 87 years old.

• Options

@nam812 said:

Thanx Nick - me thinks so too.

The hat has made me move the display to another/bigger shelf - when I get it done?

I'll post it.

I have about 12 shelve areas with a "theme" which is kind of cool.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:

@nam812 said:

Thanx Nick - me thinks so too.

The hat has made me move the display to another/bigger shelf - when I get it done?

I'll post it.

I have about 12 shelve areas with a "theme" which is kind of cool.

Mike,

Yes, please post pics! Love me a group shot!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    bobbybradyjrbobbybradyjr Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Wow! Museum quality display.

Outstanding.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an awesome display Mike. Thanks for sharing it.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

These are the true gems in collections, not the 52 Mantles everyone drools over. If you have enough money, you can buy the common (but expensive) stuff. there is no shortage of 52 Topps Mantles in all conditions.

However, finding and obtaining some of the really obscure stuff not only takes dedication, but sometimes a bit of luck and often still you need the big $ if it is as scarce as most "whales" truly are. Congrats.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@Stone193

You have it, though, right? Just not in the display?

It’s a great looking piece, I have the original envelope, too, and they’re both a little banged up but what great imagery!

• Options

Scrolled up and answered my own question.

😂😂😂

• Options

Thanx for the kind words guys!

but sometimes a bit of luck and often still you need the big $ if it is as scarce as most "whales" truly are. Congrats.

These are very true words but that's where the patience can come in.

The Ruth hat when it comes up can go for like a grand to 1500.

I got this one from Hunt Auctions for about 400 bucks.

Same with the Ruth scorer - "NY" version. If ya wait, one can make their own luck and get it at a good price.

Another - the flip book goes for really righteous bucks - again - I got lucky and found one for around 100 bucks - that was good luck!

Again, thanx - people who know me - are aware that I collect mostly oddball stuff that most pass on.

Mike
  • Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    @Stone193

You have it, though, right? Just not in the display?

It’s a great looking piece, I have the original envelope, too, and they’re both a little banged up but what great imagery!

Sure do Tim - just scroll up and you'll see it. I picked it up from another collector at a very fair price.

Thanx for asking.

Mike