Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Comments

• Options
    MEC2MEC2 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    I was for a time leading an auction for a recovered piece of the money, certified by PCGS I believe, with a quality top bid, but the auction ended early, likely because someone talked a fixed price sale into the seller as the auction hadn't generated as many bids in the first couple days. I was sad...
  • Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Always been fascinated by this case and watched the History Channel 2 part special this week. Was disappointed that they really didn't have more of a compelling case on anyone.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Great story! Very cool that some of the notes were actually returned to the family that found them! Otherwise they would all be locked up somewhere in a warehouse where no one could enjoy them!!
  • Options
    BTW, guy either died during the fall or lost the money during the paradrop and bailed on it in the dark. None of the money ever surface in circulation, just some found in the woods. Fascinating story, but the guy never got what he wanted...
  • Options
    Why did some of the money end up buried in the sand along the river in stacks together but not the rest of it? That part doesn't make sense. I always thought the money that was found was planted there for a reason.
  • Options
    uzuiwekuzuiwek Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    I though they would never get off my...I mean his! HIS! back about that.
    SPMC LM #405 - Collector of Ohio obsoletes. And other stuff, that I'm not going to tell you, so you don't buy it before I do.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: uzuiwek
    I though they would never get off my...I mean his! HIS! back about that.

yes, im glad that gorilla is off your umm i mean there back image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: larry510
    Why did some of the money end up buried in the sand along the river in stacks together but not the rest of it? That part doesn't make sense. I always thought the money that was found was planted there for a reason.

The same reason other things are found half-buried in the river bank. Because that's how rivers work. Could be he buried it in order to come back to it, or it could just be that's where it washed up and was covered in sediment for years. I probably think the latter.

• Options
    Based on the amount that was found and how it was situated they determined that it would have been impossible to just have washed up that way and ended up in the spot that it did all together in stacks.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    word is db cooper might have been a woman? anyone else hear that part?
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: johnny9434

word is db cooper might have been a woman? anyone else hear that part?

Yes. There is a woman who had a gender change operation about 2 years prior to the hijacking and she is one of those who confessed to being DB Cooper.

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: larry510

Based on the amount that was found and how it was situated they determined that it would have been impossible to just have washed up that way and ended up in the spot that it did all together in stacks.

The reason investigators concluded the money was planted there was that the stacks still had intact rubber bands. Rubber bands only last about 6 months buried in soil, according to the story. I wasn't paying attention to the part where a person pointed out the two individuals and predicted they would find the money. I don't know who that person was. Perhaps another self confessed hijacker? The two individuals who found the money apparently were hounded by media and curiosity seekers for years.