Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

68.......no Q!

I love a great grade as much as the next guy but how can this note have this grade and not achieve the "Q"? Is it a fake holder? Is it a misprint?
Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency

Comments

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    From PMG "Notes must qualify for PMG’s Exceptional Paper Quality (EPQ) designation to be graded 65 and higher."

So the 68 is an EPQ but not printed on holder.

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    I hear ya TomTom,but I don't recall seeing any others.Each and every PMG note I have ,65 or higher(and I have hundreds of them from way back up to just a few days ago),has the Q.Not to mention,I think I see a small stain,front right margin,that may kill the Q.It's a little tough to be 100% sure as I am unable to make the pics larger(another strange thing in my opinion).
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Interesting for sure. I do not have the answer.

But I have a very similar serial of that one with a Q.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Assume it's a misprint...all their registry points 65 and higher are only EPQ notes...They have graded 8 at a 68...1 at 69...

I can't make out the PMG note# to do a verification check.
  • Options
    Here is a note of mine.

when I do a verification using the pmg # on back it comes back 65EPQ.

I assume the above note falls into that category.
  • Options
    Tom, I agree. Your note and the other one both seem to be from earlier times with older label design.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

• Options
    amrysamrys Posts: 143
    I've got some early graded $1 1969 starnotes, all graded by PMG and all 65 but NO EPQ.
    Obviously such early graded notes haven't always got an EPQ.
    This holder of the 68 notes lseems to be an older one too.
    So maybe they've just forgotten to hit the button for the EPQ?
  • Options
    I found an older label as well with no EPQ.

Jim61

• Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe that Jason came up with the "Q". His was PPQ and then PMG "borrowed" the idea and it became EPQ. Consequently, older PMG notes have no Q.

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Older holder, before they used EPQ.

If the border of the holder has squares, that will confirm that the holder is an earlier one. The newer PMG holders have the wavy border.
  • Options
    Another easy way to tell is to look at the scales to the left of the PMG. Older holders have the two vessels at the bottom of the scale shaded to look 3D, the newer labels have solid vessels look 2D.

Jim61

• Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    We have talked about this before. PMG the first year they were grading did not put EPQ on ANY note regardless of grade. I have a few 66's and 67's with no EPQ on the holder.

The lack of EPQ on this old one bothered me so I decided to cross it to PCGS and get a PPQ on it and it worked:

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I had my eye on that one and agree it's just an early first generation example.
  • Options
    mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    I have the certification number (approximate) when PMG started using EPQ. I have to find it, but as others said it is most likely a first generation holder prior to the use of EPQ.
  • Options
    Any PMG graded notes 65 or higher encapsulated in PMG's older holders before the use of the "EPQ" can be sent in for a reholder and will automatically get an EPQ designation.