Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

“I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles”

Please think of the Dean Martin song as you glance at this not the Micheal Jackson version image

So I haven't bought much foreign in the last few months however did recently purchase this out of Germany.

Circa 1700, White Metal, 23mm Diameter with a neat duel sided pictorial.

Research wise I could only find another example that was struck in silver that sold at auction.

The Obverse shows a cherub blowing bubbles with a saying "So Flies The World"

The Reverse shows flying hearts with a saying "We Are In Heaven"

Not sure what the beige muck is near the top of the reverse rim, but I’m pretty sure it will lift after a long soak in mineral oil.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Not exactly sure what this is but I certainly like it. I'm thinking it may be some kind of funerary bereavement token or possibly a Jeton:

Allegorically, the cherub blowing bubbles represents the transitoriness of life - life is fleeting and fragile (like a bubble), here one minute and gone the next. The winged hearts would most likely symbolize the angelic ascent to heaven.

I'm no good at German so I leave the translation to you. All I keep thinking is: "Life is fleeting, so we'll meet in heaven", but I know that is not right.

-d
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Cant find Fleucht , probably an old german word no longer in use today. Best I can do : Those bubbles evaporate in the wide world, but we go to heaven.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Fleucht = Flug, perhaps?
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Google translate didn't do anything with fleucht, but for 'so fleucht die' it gives 'so flees the'. The whole thing through google gives "so flees the wilt of who about in the sky". I suspect better language skills and/or context would help image.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beyond the old & new German language there have also always been two dialects.

There's a High German and normal German.

So for someone educated living in a larger city during that period it would have been Flug.

For someone in a rural farming community it would have been Fleucht.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

Beyond the old & new German language there have also always been two dialects.

There's a High German and normal German.

So for someone educated living in a larger city during that period it would have been Flug.

For someone in a rural farming community it would have been Fleucht.

There are, and have always been, FAR MORE than 2 dialects of German.

An example of the medal sold in the 2 Mar 1908 auction of the collection of Dr. Antoine-Feill in Hamburg (lot 4514). The type of metal (silver vs. white metal) is not noted in the auction description, but the item is described as a "medal or jeton", diameter 23 mm, and 4.5 grams. I'm guessing this is the same auction reference you found via Google search (?), but maybe not since it doesn't note anything about silver.

I would translate the medal legends as:

"Thus flees the world from us....but we'll (meet again) in heaven".

I only have 8 years of formal German study, but have not used it for the past 15 years, so I'm a bit rusty. image

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aw, man, as if the little cherub blowing bubbles wasn't cool enough, those flying hearts really cinch it! I've never seen such a design on anything predating the 20th century! Super cool!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.