Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

"Numismatic Gladiator" Cycle I: Index for the "cheap coin challenges" (NG-1-NG10)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2016 3:59AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

These little "Cheap Coin Challenges" arose from a friendly wager Aethelred and I had back in what became the first "Numismatic Gladiator" competition.

He said he still found as much joy in buying a $20 coin for his collection as he would a a more expensive one.

I agreed. So he challenged me to a "duel" with $20 coins, winner to be decided by a forum poll.

The idea caught on, and has hopefully demonstrated that there's still plenty of fun to be had in numismatics without spending a fortune.

It's really just all about fun, with a little friendly competition thrown in.

We hope the subsequent contestants have had fun, too. Win or lose, it seems like they have.

Thanks to everyone who has watched and voted in these.

This thread is an index of the past competitions and a place for announcements about future ones.

You may also feel free to volunteer yourself as a contestant and/or suggest any themes that interest you.

Since these are cheap coin challenges, usually the price limit has been $20 US, or $25 if US coins were involved.

But that is not necessarily set in stone.

*** CYCLE 1 ***

imageNumismatic Gladiator I ~ Aethelred vs. lordmarcovan: Roman Imperial coins under $20.00 ~ Aethelred won

imageNumismatic Gladiator II ~ Stork vs. Swampboy: Pre-1800 dated world coins under $20.00 ~ Swampboy won

imageNumismatic Gladiator III ~ Andres vs. dadams: Pre-1964 United States coins under $25.00 ~ dadams won

imageNumismatic Gladiator IV ~ lordmarcovan vs. savoyspecial: World exonumia under $20.00 ~ lordmarcovan won

imageNumismatic Gladiator V ~ ajaan vs. Jackthecat1: Canadian coins under $20.00 ~ Jackthecat1 won

imageNumismatic Gladiator VI ~ Musky1011 vs. PatAR: Spanish/Spanish Colonial coins under $20.00 ~ PatAR won

imageNumismatic Gladiator VII ~ jtlee321 vs. TavernTreasures: Post-1965 US or World coins under $25.00- TavernTreasures won

imageNumismatic Gladiator VIII ~ LochNESS vs. WorldCoinsDmitry: German States coins under $20.00 ~ LochNESS won

imageNumismatic Gladiator IX ~ CoinCast vs. seanq: World or US Error coins under $25.00 ~ CoinCast won

imageNumismatic Gladiator X ~ CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND: all NG1 to NG9 champions face off! ~ ANY coin, token, or medal under $10.00 ~ dadams won

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Nice!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1

If you click on the link to NG IV it takes you to III.

Thanks for the proofread. I'll do some link repair when I'm not on a mobile device. Sorry!

Update: linky glitch fixed now. Thanks.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Of course this all transpires whilst I was yeti image Just read the first NG thread. I love this. Best forum contest idea ever. Can't wait to read the second, etc. Officially throwing my hat into the ring for a future NG contest, perhaps NG X? How many folks are in line?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Originally posted by: LochNESS

Of course this all transpires whilst I was yeti image Just read the first NG thread. I love this. Best forum contest idea ever. Can't wait to read the second, etc. Officially throwing my hat into the ring for a future NG contest, perhaps NG X? How many folks are in line?

Hey, Nessie. Thanks for the enthusiasm. I'm glad you bumped this, actually, 'cause I needed to update the links.

You can most definitely play in a future contest, maybe even the next one, though it has not been decided what the next category will be yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

We haven't done British yet- or Aussie/New Zealand- or Ancient Greeks (Aethelred wants to challenge bronzemat for that)- or German/German States- or... well... lots of stuff.

Of course we can always revisit some of the earlier-played categories, too.

I would love to witness Aethelred vs Bronzemat in Ancient Greeks.

I would gladly accept a challenge in British or Aussie/Zealand, as I have some interests and collecting history there.

I would also accept a challenge in German States or anything else I know nothing to very little about, because I like to learn new things.

Please read this as interest, not desperation image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Originally posted by: LochNESS

I would love to witness Aethelred vs Bronzemat in Ancient Greeks.

I would gladly accept a challenge in British or Aussie/Zealand, as I have some interests and collecting history there.

I would also accept a challenge in German States or anything else I know nothing to very little about, because I like to learn new things.

Please read this as interest, not desperation image

Great! After NG7 is done I will probably step back and let Aethelred take the helm for a while.

He can set up NG8, decide the category and price limit, and elect the contestants. Then when two contestants are chosen and have bought their coins and PMed links to me, I'll launch the NG8 poll.

Michael- if you read this, get some armor and sword and helmet for Nessie and let him into the Colosseum for NG, unless you and bronzemat will be facing off. Have him sign the insurance waiver and next-of-kin forms, too.

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

Great! After NG7 is done I will probably step back and let Aethelred take the helm for a while.

He can set up NG8, decide the category and price limit, and elect the contestants. Then when two contestants are chosen and have bought their coins and PMed links to me, I'll launch the NG8 poll.

Michael- if you read this, get some armor and sword and helmet for Nessie and let him into the Colosseum for NG, unless you and bronzemat will be facing off. Have him sign the insurance waiver and next-of-kin forms, too.

So far I have not been able to find anyone who will take me on in Greek or Greek Imperial coins, I hope that will change soon.

Until then I am thinking about a topic for NG VIII. German and English certainly need to be done, but I am thinking about a few things that are off the beaten path as well.

We are also talking about something special for NG X, so stay tuned.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a cool idea, I don't know how I've missed these threads before today. If you decide to do one for error coins under $25, I'm game.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    Originally posted by: seanq

Such a cool idea, I don't know how I've missed these threads before today. If you decide to do one for error coins under $25, I'm game.

Sean Reynolds

Now THAT is an excellent idea. What say ye, Dead King Aethelred? I like it.

I'm down for that wager. I like errors.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

My codirector Aethelred is calling the shots for NG8.

I see he just posted the invitational thread, and it is to be German States.

I really like the "errors under $25" idea, though, so we'll have to do that soon. Maybe even for NG9. We'll see.

NG10 will likely be something special, perhaps involving some or all of the past winners. Stay tuned for more on that later!

(Edit- this info moved to the OP)

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, how about a losers contest. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    Originally posted by: ajaan

Hey, how about a losers contest. image

Losers are hereby heartily encouraged to step up and compete again in other contests!

Not the championship round, of course (unless one of the champions bows out), but yes, definitely! We'd love to see losers have a shot at redemption!

Even a rematch of the same category is possible.

PS- even a rematch of the same category with the same players is possible, if your opponent agrees to one. Of course he'll keep his trophy from the prior contest, and you will compete for a new trophy with different coins, naturally.

All it takes is for both of you to speak up and say you want the rematch.

(Of course I must defer to my codirector Aethelred to approve such matches, but I don't see why not.)

Originally posted by: Aethelred

So far I have not been able to find anyone who will take me on in Greek or Greek Imperial coins, I hope that will change soon.

Oh, I will happily take you on in Greek or Greek Imperial coins, Dead King. I need a rematch from the very first NG competition, anyway.

But let's get the championship round in NG10 out of the way first.

(I loves me some sandy-patina Seleucid bronze. There's some mighty cool Nabatean stuff out there for cheap, too..) image

CoinCast and seanq have been told to start shopping for NG9, so we should segue into that fairly soon after NG8 wraps up.

All of our past champions are aboard for NG10, and the winners of NG8 and NG9 will also be invited to join the championship battle in NG10.

NG11 will start the cycle all over again, so Aethelred and I, the original gladiators, have a rematch, this time in Greek coins rather than Roman.

Will I vindicate my earlier (narrow) loss to him in NG1? Only time will tell. image

*** NUMISMATIC GLADIATOR X *** CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND ANNOUNCEMENT ***

Hello, past NG champions! (And whoever wins the pending NG9 round):

It is now time to announce the category and price point for our championship round, when all nine champions will face off!

Are you ready? image

OK, here goes.

The category is one you're all sure to like.

It is... ANYTHING GOES!!!

That's right- ANY coin, token, or medal. Anything numismatic (though preferably coin-like and metallic.)

So that's easy enough, right? Gives you a lot of leeway to shop in.

But here's the twist... the challenging part.

The maximum price for the NG10 round will be TEN dollars US. ($10.00).

Only half what it is in a regular round. So you've got a whole lot of categories to shop in, but everyone will be pretty tightly restricted, pricewise.

This is NG10... get it? The tenth round? So... ten bucks this time.

There is still some cool stuff to be had out there within a ten-dollar limit.

And I for one intend to demonstrate that in the contest. image

Accepted venues are eBay (Buy-It-Now only) or VCoins.com.

As usual, shipping charges do not count against your total, so you may spend up to ten dollars regardless of shipping cost.

You may go ahead and start shopping as soon as you read this, since it will take a while to coordinate all nine gladiators for NG10. We can do this while NG9 is running, and whoever wins NG9 will also be invited into the championship round for NG10.

NG9 poll thread is now up.

Champions- I hope you're shopping for NG10! I am, and am close to making my selection.

Check this out, from May of 2015.

This was sort of the "proto-Numismatic Gladiator event". It was fun.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea, looking forward to see what the contestants come up with.
    The NG10 championship is done, now, and dadams has seized the eagle trophy.

This wraps up Cycle 1 of the Numismatic Gladiator series.

Cycle 2 will begin as cycle 1 did, with Aethelred and I facing off with Ancient coins (though Greek rather than Roman this time).

We are talking about moving the Numismatic Gladiator franchise over to CoinTalk, which seems a little more active and has much better software. I know many of us who post here are also members over there.

Would anyone be upset if we "built a new colosseum" over there?

I will also perhaps post a poll over there and see if anybody's interested in us relocating.

So Cycle 2 may begin on another forum, but we have not made a final decision on that yet, and naturally we welcome your input.

• AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    The sooner the better, Rob.
    Did you follow the threads about CU members being banned from the CU - U.S. & World Currency Forum ?
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liteside rumor is that the current upgrade was a necessary intermediate step to another upgrade.

Rumor thread

Originally posted by: Andres The sooner the better, Rob. Did you follow the threads about CU members being banned from the CU - U.S. & World Currency Forum ?

No, but I don't visit the currency side very often.

Originally posted by: Stork

Liteside rumor is that the current upgrade was a necessary intermediate step to another upgrade.

Rumor thread

Hm. I'll have to check that out. I hope it's true, for the sake of good ol' CU.

It has been decided, now, between Aethelred and I, with the approval of our champion dadams, and Stork's input over on CT as well. (Good to hear Andres is aboard, too.)

The Numismatic Gladiator franchise will be moving to the CoinTalk Forums, effective October, 2016.

This will begin with Aethelred and I having our rematch in NG11, beginning a second cycle.

All subsequent NG challenges in Cycle 2 will be on CoinTalk as well.

As to Cycle 3 and beyond, if those happen, we will see. We may or may not move NG back over here.

This has been fun, and it has hopefully sparked a little interest on these recently less-active boards, but it's time to spread the love over there and see how it goes.

This does not mean I'll be walking away from CU completely, but will be spending more time on CT. I encourage others to participate over there, too, though I'm of course not suggesting anyone abandon CU, unless you had your own reasons for doing so.

*** 10/5 EDIT: Numismatic Gladiator will NOT be going to CoinTalk after all. It got shut down by the moderator over there. ***

So we'll resume here, later.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it looks like the contest ran afoul of the rules over there. I get the intent of no-money involved, but in this case it doesn't seem like it should be an issue.

Any other venues (I can't think of any)? Or, just stick it out here and hope another software upgrade makes managing the contest easier?

Originally posted by: Stork

Unfortunately it looks like the contest ran afoul of the rules over there. I get the intent of no-money involved, but in this case it doesn't seem like it should be an issue.

Any other venues (I can't think of any)? Or, just stick it out here and hope another software upgrade makes managing the contest easier?

Yes, it got shot down on CoinTalk.

No contests requiring purchase are allowed.

Silly, since it's like saying, "You can't buy a coin for your collection".

As that is all the Numismatic Gladiators are doing.

It's not like there's a conflict of interest ("buy only from Aethelred's eBay store!") or a winner-take-all situation where the loser surrenders his or her coin. Each buys his or her own, and keeps it. So I initially failed to see what all the kerfluffle was about. However, I will give moderator GDJMSP full credit for soothing my initial annoyance and explaining that it was something he had to do rather than wanted to do. They had to be consistent in applying their rules. They have pretty tight moderation over there, but at least it has a friendlier, softer side.

We'll start things back up over here once the dust settles from the software change.

edited December 30, 2016 4:20AM

As previously announced in another thread, we have now begun Cycle 2 of Numismatic Gladiator, with Aethelred and I facing off again in NG11.

@dadams, the overall champion in Cycle 1 (NG 1-10), is now our new Numismatic Gladiator Master of Ceremonies for Cycle 2 (NG 11-20).

I was going to update this index to include the Cycle 2 competitions, but all the HTML code the system added during the software swtichover gives me a headache. This is Doug's baby now. I expect he'll be starting a new index thread.

I will no longer be updating this index thread, but I will still be participating in Numismatic Gladiator as a player and spectator.

Stay tuned for future updates from @dadams.

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Thank you to Lord Marcovan for your hard work and dedication to this competition.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC