Home PSA Set Registry Forum

PSA Grading

I have a question about grading. I'm ready to submit some cards for grading to PSA. When filling out the form they ask the SMR value of the card. I see the grading fees change, based on the SMR "value" of the card. My question is, if I determine the card is worth $400 instead of say $700 and pay $18 (lower SMR valued card) to grade instead of $40 ( for the higher SMR valued card) will this increase my chance of receiving a lower grade?

I find this part of the process quite confusing as I have a few cards that could easily grade anywhere from 7-10. As most of you know this grade affects the value of the card greatly. Since I don't know the grade of the card how am I supposed to determine the value of the card. I don't want to be cheap, but I also don't want to overpay for a card to be graded.

2. If I elect to go with the lower priced grading service of $18, will this jeopardise the chances of the card being graded from PSA of having a potential grade of 9 or 10? (hence the value of the card would now exceed $500)

Personally, I think it should be one fixed price to get a card graded regardless of value to avoid any confusion. Perhaps PSA could look at revising their fees for different eras of cards..Say $5 for 1990's to 2000, $6 for 1980-1989, $7 for 1970-1979, $8 1960-1969 and so on.

I really don't understand how the value of the card should affect the grading process

I would be grateful of any input on this subject as this will be my first submission.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: smallpaul2002I really don't understand how the value of the card should affect the grading process

The value of the card does not affect the grading process, but significantly impacts PSAs liability should they damage, authenticate a reprint, or significantly misgrade the card.

I always use replacement cost for the declared value when submitting. How much would it cost you to purchase a raw card in similar/like condition?
  • bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    Good advice above one thing to take in mind though SMR prices are worthless if you want to know what to insure your
    cards for use VCP and eBay finished sales.

James
  • Great advice guys

Thank you for the input, this helps to clarify my issues. Much appreciated