Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Medals of William Washington and John Eager Howard by Benjamin Duvivier

This weekend seemed like an appropriate time to post these two new acquisitions. While of American Revolutionary War heroes, these medals were engraved in France and struck at the Paris Mint.

William Washington
by Pierre-Simon-Benjamin Duvivier, 1789

Bronze, 46.4 mm Ø, 45.8 g

Obverse: William Washington on horseback charging left, two bodies underneath. Above, Victory flying left holding wreath in right hand and palm branches in left hand. In the background, cavalry charging left. Around, GULIELMO WASHINGTON LEGIONIS EQUIT · PRÆFECTO (William Washington, Commander of a Cavalry Regiment). In exergue, COMITIA AMERICAN· (American Congress). To the right, above the exergual line, the artist's signature DUV .

Reverse: Laurel wreath tied with ribbons at top and bottom. Within, QUOD / PARVA MILITUM MANU / STRENUE PROSECUTUS HOSTES / VIRTUTIS INGENITÆ / PRÆCLARUM SPECIMEN DEDIT / IN PUGNA AD COWPENS / XVII . JAN . MDCCLXXXI . (Because, having vigorously pursued the enemy with a small band of soldiers, he gave a brilliant example of innate courage at the Battle of Cowpens, January 17, 1781).

A so-called "original" strike with a plain edge, this example corresponds to die state 2 identified by Adams and Bentley.

References: Adams-Bentley pp. 139-144; Betts 594; cf. Julian MI-9; Loubat 9

John Eager Howard
by Pierre-Simon-Benjamin Duvivier, 1789

Bronze, 46.4 mm Ø, 44.0 g

Obverse: John Eager Howard on horseback charging right, right hand raised wielding sword. Below the horse, a sword and hat on the ground. Behind, in the center, Victory holding wreath in right hand and palm branch in left hand. To the right, standard-bearer running right. Around, JOH · EGAR · HOWARD LEGIONIS PEDITUM PRÆFECTO (John Eager Howard, Commander of an Infantry Regiment). In exergue, COMITIA AMERICANA (American Congress). To the left, above the exergual line, the artist's signature DUVIV · .

Reverse: Laurel wreath tied with ribbons at top and bottom. Within, QUOD / IN NUTANTEM HOSTIUM ACIEM / SUBITO IRRUENS / PRÆCLARUM BELLICÆ VIRTUTIS / SPECIMEN DEDIT / IN PUGNA AD COWPENS / XVII . JAN . MDCCLXXXI . (Because, charging suddenly on the wavering line of the enemy, he provided a brilliant example of military bravery in the Battle of Cowpens, January 17, 1781).

A so-called "original" strike with a plain edge, this example corresponds to die state 1 identified by Adams and Bentley.

References: Adams-Bentley pp. 145-151; Betts 595; cf. Julian MI-8; Loubat 10

Lieutenant Colonel John Eager Howard was the commander of the Continental Line at the Battle of Cowpens on January 17, 1781, and William Washington was a second cousin of George Washington and commanded three troops of light dragoons at the battle. General Morgan deployed on a low hill first a line of skirmishers, with a second line of militia. These two lines were to fire two volleys and then withdraw to give the appearance of a rout, emboldening the British to pursue them up the hill. When a group of fifty British cavalry on the right flank attacked the skirmishers and militiamen, Washington charged with his entire force, sabers drawn, repelling the British who lost eighteen dead on the spot. Another force of fifty British cavalry attacked from the left flank; Washington regrouped behind the hill and again charged with similar results. Unknown to the British, a third line of infantry, that being the Continentals under Howard, were waiting up the hill. After providing a volley, the Continentals charged with bayonets, forcing the British to flee. Fighting in the thick of the battle, Howard received seven swords from British officers who surrendered to him. Washington followed with a cavalry charge, overrunning the British artillery and causing their leader, Colonel Banastre Tarleton, to flee. A group of 200 British cavalry which had been held in reserve fled without a fight. This victory for the Continental Army was a turning point in the reconquest of South Carolina from British Control.

For their roles in the battle, both Washington and Howard were voted the thanks of Congress and silver medals on March 9, 1781 (General Morgan was awarded a gold medal).

As an aside, while these two men were fighting for their country's freedom, these two medals had to fight for their freedom:

Comments

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Great medals Joe, very appropriate indeed. And better yet the silver/gold examples were actually awarded to the principals.

FWIW, I think the climatic battle in the movie the Patriot was (very) loosely based on the Battle of Cowpens.

I don't know much about these early US medals so thanks for sharing and the nice write up.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the medals and the history!
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful medals. Morgan knew his troops' strengths and weaknesses and took advantage of Tarleton's known impetuosity to win a great victory.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great medals. I have both of the designs in the US Mint pewter restrikes from the 1974-76 period.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any mintage numbers available on these medals?

• IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    Any mintage numbers available on these medals?

Not that I know of, sorry.

No Problem! I thought the Eager Medal was struck at the US mint back in 1861. Is that correct?

@thebigeng said:
    No Problem! I thought the Eager Medal was struck at the US mint back in 1861. Is that correct?

According to Julian, restrikes of both medals from France were received at the US Mint in 1862 to use for sale to customers. When this supply was exhausted, copy dies were created (in 1863 for the William Washington medal and in 1868 for the John Eager Howard medal) so the US Mint could make its own examples to sell.

Thanks!

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

How are those big NGC slabs for cracking? I have a few medals that are in them and I'd like to liberate them. My normal slab cracking process (at risk of sounding like a gender caricature) is to hand them to my husband who takes some kind of saw thing to them. He takes one look at these and groans.

@Stork said:
    How are those big NGC slabs for cracking? I have a few medals that are in them and I'd like to liberate them. My normal slab cracking process (at risk of sounding like a gender caricature) is to hand them to my husband who takes some kind of saw thing to them. He takes one look at these and groans.

They weren't too bad. I used a hammer along the edges, holding the slabs perpendicular on a concrete surface. The edges split apart, and then I just worked them carefully to pry the front and back apart (while also being careful to make sure no plastic shards moved towards the medals inside).

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "freed" medals certainly take up less storage space!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey is that Maxwell's hammer? Or Thor's? Glad you cracked them out without damage. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52