Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Goodwin auctions

Am I missing something? I am looking at Goodwin's auctions ending tonight for 1955 Topps PSA 8 cards and every one is slotted to end at a price of 40% to 100% above the highest price I have ever seen for that card, once you take into account the 20% vig. Do they line their PSA graded cards with gold or something?

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports

Comments

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Clemente is $102k with BP. Koufax is $45k with BP. Killebrew is $12k with BP.

Those 10-20 people who are driving this don't seem to be done yet.

Dave
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are just the rookie cards. The non-rookie star cards have crazy prices too.

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    The Koufax is at 55k!
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Now Clemente is $150k and Koufax is $80k

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Just wow. Figured the Clemente would eclipse the previous 8 due to centering and eye appeal. The Koufax is a head scratcher. Card was an $8-10k card in Feb/March, and this one will finish north of $70k??? Even if they figure it for a .5 bump those sell for $60-80k.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    No logic whatsoever. The Koufax finished three times higher than any one had ever sold for previously. Usually the sign of a market top but who the heck knows. I see Probstein threw another one up on ebay last night. Don't blame them for getting it listed ASAP.

The Killebrew sold for almost three times the previous high auction. Banks sold for $3,259. I bought one three weeks ago for $830. Damn! Anyone wanna buy it from me now for $3,000??? Sold!

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Makes me wish I kept my 55t set! Paid $730 for the Koufax psa 7 and 2200 for clemente Sgc 7
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they somehow manage to coordinate these things......

"So, what are you guys up for today? I saw a restored '57 Chevy on my way back from Starbucks and decided to buy it. Should we nail that year's issue?"

"Hey, wait a sec. I completed my first leveraged corporate buyout in 1960. Let's do that one."

"You guys are so funny. I once sold a record company AND bought a basketball team within less than 24 hours. This really has little to do with our conversation, but I just wanted to brag some more."
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cardcountry
    Now Clemente is $150k and Koufax is $80k

Jeff

i am not surprised by the Koufax. It has exceptional centering for the issue...actually dead centered...and the yellow background is blemish free...also exceptional quality as Jeff pointed out b4 for this issue is unusual. These exceptional qualities would demand a premiuim...and a rather steep one in today's market.
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Here's the link:

https://goodwinandco.com/catalog.aspx

I do agree that some people have way to much money to spend and that it is showing right now. the problem with this price inflation is that it is driving out many true collectors of these sets who are trying to do it in high grade. They will get 99% of the set complete in PSA 8 or higher, and then settle for PSA 5s and 6s for these RCs that are going to astronomical prices. We shall see I guess...

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    So how long will it be until this happens:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: KendallCat
    Wow! Just wow. Figured the Clemente would eclipse the previous 8 due to centering and eye appeal. The Koufax is a head scratcher. Card was an $8-10k card in Feb/March, and this one will finish north of $70k??? Even if they figure it for a .5 bump those sell for $60-80k.

The Koufax has historically been about 60% of the Clemente, but it always seemed to lag the movement of Clemente by a little. With nice Clemente RCs now running at $145-$150k is it really that surprising that a nice Koufax RC fetched $80k?

And with regard to the 0.5 bump....I guess they sell for way over $60-80k now (probably $175k-$200k if this PSA 8 price holds).

Amazing

Dave
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These prices are insane. Anyone care to make a guess as to what the entire set sold for?

James
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Two PSA 8 Koufax on eBay right now for 25k & 50k bin. If 80k is the new norm than why does someone not flip them for a massive profit?

Koufax
  • Options
    The one being listed @ $25,999 in your link has:

a) An unattractive brown line of toning on the top reverse

b) An unattractive crack on the holder, which can be seen on the reverse

and

c) an older flip

Who is to say what that particular example might grade given further consideration? Certainly, no one with a fiscal interest in the card would want it downgraded.

But, the economic divide for big time cards will be created by appearance, presentation & the belief the grade assigned is appropriate. It would still come as no surprise to see a card like that be sold at a perceived bargain. I don't think a high end designation is in its future, though.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ugaskidawg

Here's the link:

https://goodwinandco.com/catalog.aspx

I do agree that some people have way to much money to spend and that it is showing right now. the problem with this price inflation is that it is driving out many true collectors of these sets who are trying to do it in high grade. They will get 99% of the set complete in PSA 8 or higher, and then settle for PSA 5s and 6s for these RCs that are going to astronomical prices. We shall see I guess...

I wonder if those collectors who can't get the high/matching grade RC if that will discourage them from even starting a high grade set build.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    i say congrats to the folks who are selling into this strength

i sold a psa 7 koufax two weeks ago, decided i was happy with the 5 that currently resides in my 55 set build

but let's be honest - this is not healthy for the hobby in general, it is absolutely driving people out at least for now

and it will eventually end in a spectacular loss of value. from what point that occurs we may not know yet, but all bubbles eventually burst and this will be no different
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    I don't really see a bubble bursting. To me a bubble bursting is having these cards lose like 50-70% of their value over nite. At some point we are bound to see some certain cards stop increasing and leveling off and then maybe lose 10-20%off their high but a new much higher standard will have been set
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bounce

i say congrats to the folks who are selling into this strength

i sold a psa 7 koufax two weeks ago, decided i was happy with the 5 that currently resides in my 55 set build

but let's be honest - this is not healthy for the hobby in general, it is absolutely driving people out at least for now

and it will eventually end in a spectacular loss of value. from what point that occurs we may not know yet, but all bubbles eventually burst and this will be no different
    Unfortunately, even if these $100,000+ cards crash in half, the price will still be prohibitive for the general/average collector. Can't see the prices going from that $100,000+ level to 10k. The "damage" may have been already done? But for those cashing in more power to them.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I doubt that the recent run up in the price of the key rookies will drive anybody who really enjoys cards out of the market. Compare the current situation to tickets for the Super Bowl. Just because there are a few select people buying the $30k tickets doesn't mean that the $2k tickets won't sell. People just want to be in the game, wherever their vantage point happens to be.
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    I agree with all that y'all are saying. Many collectors by their very nature are meticulous with their collecting habits. Putting a high grade set together and then settling for a low grade card to complete the set might be too frustrating for some. With that said, I have enjoyed watching the fireworks. We have had other bubbles in this hobby over the years, but this one takes the cake. It makes collecting my raw 1960s cards even more fun!
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 70ToppsFanatic
    Originally posted by: KendallCat

The Koufax has historically been about 60% of the Clemente, but it always seemed to lag the movement of Clemente by a little. With nice Clemente RCs now running at $145-$150k is it really that surprising that a nice Koufax RC fetched $80k?

And with regard to the 0.5 bump....I guess they sell for way over $60-80k now (probably $175k-$200k if this PSA 8 price holds).

Amazing

Hey Dave - good to see you posting on this one, and great info regarding the price differences and percentages between Clemente and Koufax. Don't disagree that this is a very nice example and would fetch a strong price. My comments were more about how prices have come so far in a few short months - makes me wish I had bought more Clemente, Koufax, and Rose rookies instead of Mantle's - how often do you hear that in the hobby image I have no idea how to budget for the National at this point with prices rising like they have lately - guess I better bring a few more bucks!

KC
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    "Two PSA 8 Koufax on eBay right now for 25k & 50k bin. If 80k is the new norm than why does someone not flip them for a massive profit?"

Because it's hard to shill a Buy It Now?
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SOM
    "Two PSA 8 Koufax on eBay right now for 25k & 50k bin. If 80k is the new norm than why does someone not flip them for a massive profit?"

Sounds about right.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of these major cards may correct but they aren't going to collapse and those that think that is what is coming are going to be proven severely wrong. You don't get a breakout in an asset class like this and see all the gains disappear. It sets up a much higher trading range. Once the momentum slows and a few more cards come for sale a correction may ensue but a full scale collapse it won't be.

Hulk Hogan is as cold as ice. In 2013 a PSA 9 of his 1982 Wrestling All Stars exploded through prior selling prices and went for $2,650. I was excited and stunned at the same time. Fast forward three years later and one just sold two days ago for $2,351. The pop has risen by three or four since then too. It appears to me that the card is consolidating and is trading in a range which in my view is extremely impressive with what has transpired with him over the past twelve months. The bottom line is his card had every reason to go down. Plenty of naysayers in a thread when it happened and it is still holding on.

Some of these sales will prove to be outliers and skew the VCP average but the general selling prices will be much higher from this event.

I can't understand how people aren't excited about this. Sports memorabilia bringing record prices on a daily basis is great for the hobby. Every time I read a post about how it isn't fair or the little guy is getting priced out all I can think of is this.

Couple of haters
  • Options
    I like how this is being called an event. Kind of like going to a carnival and paying extra just to see the bearded lady.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I just can't believe a Koufax 8 RC is now an $80,000 card, but I guess nothing should surprise me anymore. It's just mind blowing how quickly this stuff is happening. I feel very fortunate to have picked up the majority of my collection when I did as I can't touch the prices these cards are getting now. This was an $8,000 card 6 months ago....insane
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SOM

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner!!