Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Obtaining Northern Irish banknotes

If anyone has been to the Emerald Isle, does anyone know how one might go about obtaining UNC banknotes from the 4 commercial banks that issue notes? My understanding is that the banks don't have a supply on hand, such as at the HQ and that it's very difficult (I can assure you that Scotland was very difficult). Any suggestions or dealers in either Rep. of Ireland or Northern Ireland? I'll be around Dublin and Belfast in a couple of weeks and want to take advantage of the visit (and the cheap pound!).

Thanks in advance!
Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx

Comments

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Hey Robert, Sorry I can't help you with this, but I would expect you would get a better response on the IBNS forum. Try there as well.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    It's difficult, and virtually impossible to do if you do not have contacts within the bank. I talked to Pam West about this subject recently and she said she is lucky that she has one contact who is able to get some new issues, but even then sporadically.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Dennis88

It's difficult, and virtually impossible to do if you do not have contacts within the bank. I talked to Pam West about this subject recently and she said she is lucky that she has one contact who is able to get some new issues, but even then sporadically.

And usually they ask if you have an account from what I have heard.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

• Options
    Local ATM's might be a source.
  • Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the responses. Scotland was damn near impossible on-site and I've heard Northern Ireland is substantially more difficult. In Edinburgh they asked every time if I had a bank account. 9 times out of 10 they would check anyway, as long as they didn't have one of those automatic tills (we don't really have these in the US but they're all over Europe), which in that case they need to do a transaction for it to spit any money out. Unfortunately it seems my fears are accurate or even understated. I'll have to look into dealers up there. I'm just excited about not having a language barrier! image

That's interesting what Pam had to say. If anyone would know it would be her. Rats! There was a post on the IBNS forum about a year and a half ago from a friend in Sweden who tried and he had a similarly difficult time with this too. I may reach out to a couple of the members in Dublin/Belfast to see if they have any inside scoop on this.

Thanks for all your feedback!
  • Options
    Another possible option might be the larger currency exchange places at the airport(s). Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Jim61

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are going to be in Belfast on July 11/12, expect a wild ride! Not as bad as people make it out to be, but some areas are best to avoid.
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the 1980s I was ordering sets of uncirculated notes from each of the four banks when they came out with new issues. I remember having to pay by wire transfer which at the time pretty much significantly increased the cost of the sets.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Stu73Stu73 Posts: 11
    They are tough to find , I see Northern Irish and Scottish AUNC nearly every week , UNC a lot less but today I had a few UNC Scottish 2007 The three Bridges series notes. I wasn't aware they were not as well covered by dealers as other world currencies.
  • Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Went up to Belfast for a day. Incidentally, didn't realize the commemoration around the 12th - on the train ride back to Dublin I was discussing it with a nice older lady and she said the same thing so I'm glad to avoid the issues that might arise. seeing the Sinn Fein HQ was pretty interesting though and foot traffic in the Falls Rd area was very, VERY light when I went up a couple days ago.

Getting nice banknotes was IMPOSSIBLE. Getting high denomination was IMPOSSIBLE. The only notes I kept were some XFs I found on the First Trust Bank (10 and 20 pounds). I actually have a complete set of BoI that I forgot about (with the Bushmill's distillery on the back) so I asked about obsolete 100 pound notes in their branch in Donnegall Sq. to no avail. The cashier at the Ulster Bank didn't even know they had 50 and 100 pound notes.

Getting them to deal with me without an account was challenging (I knew this was going to be an issue from my experiences in Scotland), although the bright spot was Danske Bank who had no problem changing the ratty NI notes for BoE notes when I left. Next time I come back I'm going to stop straight there and ask them about the higher denoms. What the First Trust cashier said is that they never get new notes in anymore, that they only handle currency as it's brought in so they rarely see notes in nice condition. I think a better investigation with the banks' administration staffs would need to happen to understand the supply chain of Northern Ireland banknotes. I e-mailed several dealers and all of them (including some prominent Irish dealers) simply said, "Good Luck!" and based on this experience I can understand why.

Oh well. It was worth a try and this unique city was a really beautiful day trip. Would love to go back soon.
  • Options
    Robert, sorry to hear you had the same results of many others getting UNC notes.

At least you appeared to enjoy your travels.

Jim61