Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Stamps
Options

1936 Chicago Philatelic Society Golden Jubilee medal

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Chicago Philatelic Society is one of the nation's oldest and is "Chapter One" of the American Philatelic Society.

This 1936 Golden Jubilee (1886-1936) medal features gorgeous high-relief elements of mail delivery by pony express, mail wagon, trains, ship, airplane, and zeppelin interlaced in a rolling prairie-scape before an incredibly detailed skyline of skyscrapers. Foreground is a seated goddess on a throne of books and a globe, the words "I WILL" across her chest, letters flying from her outstretched arms. The level of vivid detail is remarkable. It is an art deco masterpiece.

The reverse bears a stylized script reading "Banquet" with the minute inscription "Wright & Street, Chicago, ILL" beneath.

The piece is approximately 2.25" wide by 1.5" tall and weighs approximately 42 grams. Appears to be guilt bronze. The color is amazing: Rich old gold with elements of dusky rose. I'd grade the piece MS66+ easily.

Asking $185 shipped

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chicago Philatelic Society owned a building in the downtown Chicago area. I wonder if they still own it (or even if they still exist)? Very nice medal and one I have never seen before. It's too bad I'm no longer actively buying as 10 years ago I would probably have bought it.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! 40 years of collecting and I've never seen anything quite like it. Moved to eBay!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame