Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Has the OC qualifier become the pariah of sports cards?

Ya know?

The post on those 1% cards had me going to "sold" cards on eBay.

This is interesting...

The sale of a Clemente PSA 8:

Is that amazing?

You can get a really nice looking Clemente OC 8 for 4% of one that's "OK" centered.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    6s go for about the same 4k. it's just exponential increase in price of cards in higher grade.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think eventually the mid grade and qualified cards will enjoy an increase as most people are priced out of the high grade market. A rising tide raises all ships.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44

I think eventually the mid grade and qualified cards will enjoy an increase as most people are priced out of the high grade market. A rising tide raises all ships.

Hiya David

Have no real idea but it sounds good.

Not trying to be obtuse, but I just don't see why someone would pay 90K for this card?

The centering is just OK - and an OC sells for only 4K?

I'm just confused on this one.

Mike
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I'd much rather have a lower grade card that has better centering. It didn't use to be that way - I would allow any and all vintage cards into my binders and sets. I still will for the most part, but if I have a choice between o/c and anything else, I'm taking anything else. Same for graded - I'll take a PSA 6 with no qualifier over an 8(OC) all day, every day.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I think the price difference is insane. Both cards are in the same physical condition. I know we're supposed to subtract two grades for qualifiers, but it makes no sense whatsoever to do this for centering.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer is yes. I don't even think there should be qualifiers, it should be straight grades.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^

This. The numbering system leaves too much room for interpretation and causes confusion for those who don't understand the purpose of qualifiers. That being said, this is a system which has been in place for interpretation for over 25 years. If you haven't figured it out by now, you never will.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: travis t

^^^^^^

This. The numbering system leaves too much room for interpretation and causes confusion for those who don't understand the purpose of qualifiers. That being said, this is a system which has been in place for interpretation for over 25 years. If you haven't figured it out by now, you never will.

Just to stay on track.

The OP is not arguing the grade assigned or the system - I just find it interesting that an OC card only garnered 4% of what the NQ did.

And last - your comment: "if you haven't figured it out by now, you never will"

It's judgmental and derisive and does little to encourage discussion here so that those who "are" less informed may learn from those who are.

Just my opinion buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ego and bragging rights. As soon as one understands that the prices aren't as hard to understand.

Only 120 people can say they own a PSA 8. 596 people can say they own a PSA 6 or equivalent.

I think the best example would be the Ferrari GTO 250. It will run you over 50 million and only 39 were ever made. You can buy a brand new Ferrari that has all the new bells and whistles for 300k or so but you aren't part of that elite club.

It was interesting to see two high profile collectors chime in on the PWCC thread over on Net 54. These cards are big boy toys.

• Options
    Stone,

We are each entitled to our opinion. My last comment is intended for those who are quite familiar with the current system. For those who are not, then this is the best place to gain knowledge about the topic. I'm not against that either. I love to learn and never feel that I'm incapable of embracing new ideas or theories.

The qualifier topic is very mature, at least in the sense it has been identified as something which requires proper interpretation. That is where my comment is directed - to those who know. The monetary aspect, well....that's for each individual to decide on their own.

As for the examples presented, I'd choose neither at the price.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    20 years ago, if those two cards were auctioned (raw), the difference in price would probably be very small, if different at all.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    If it's really about ego and bragging rights then that's just pathetic and I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who has such low self respect that they would buy a sports card, of all things, to make themselves feel superior to other collectors. What a waste of money.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MULLINS5
    If it's really about ego and bragging rights then that's just pathetic and I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who has such low self respect that they would buy a sports card, of all things, to make themselves feel superior to other collectors. What a waste of money.

No different then the reason someone wants to own a super refactor.

These gentleman may love to collect but if you are worth millions you don't get turned on by a card that the masses can own.

The PSA 10 grade is made to appeal to the ego. My card is better than your card. I am the only one who owns one. Etc.

I collect 10's and would by lying to myself if I said there wasn't some ego involved.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    The last PSA 8 1971 Munson sold on eBay for $2500.00

This PSA 8 MC has incredible edges and corners, but I bet the 90-10 centering makes it worth less than a hundy.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dpeck100
    Originally posted by: MULLINS5

No different then the reason someone wants to own a super refactor.

These gentleman may love to collect but if you are worth millions you don't get turned on by a card that the masses can own.

The PSA 10 grade is made to appeal to the ego. My card is better than your card. I am the only one who owns one. Etc.

I collect 10's and would by lying to myself if I said there wasn't some ego involved.

I think this is spot on. If you don't believe so then just looks at the psa registry. It's also why many people buy high end cars (like the gto 250) or high end art. Now I'm sure there are exceptions where people collect for other reasons but I think we're all trying to fill some kind of void in our lives.

Quick story;
    A few years ago I was searching through YouTube and saw an interview with lil Wayne (he's a rapper fellas) and I'm not a fan of his but it had to do with a certain car, I think it was some kind of rare bugotti which he paid millions of dollars for. If I remember correctly he mentioned something about him not knowing what a bugotti was but how he heard this car was super rare so he wanted it lol.

Life is a competition.
  • Options
    This takes me back to a thread I wrote on "why" I thought we collect.

I would be remiss if I didn't say that collecting has a mixture of intellectual curiosity, nostalgia, desire to find order, and a little bit of good ole fashioned pride, i.e. "showin' off".

If we haven't gone all OCD and stuff - everyone gets excited about showing what they have picked up - whether it be a 1 or a 10 - for me that's "honest" pride.

As opposed to where ego takes over and instead of one holding onto their possessions?

"They hold onto you"

You all have good and valid POV's on this IMO.

Thanx.

edit: Also, while I call myself a collector and don't sell on eBay or anything - I'd be disingenuous if I didn't say that I'm happy that some of the stuff I've picked up over the years is worth something to my heirs.

Tho, if I have it my way? I'm gonna be buried with my stuff. image
    Mike
  • Options
    Originally posted by: travis t

Stone,

We are each entitled to our opinion. My last comment is intended for those who are quite familiar with the current system. For those who are not, then this is the best place to gain knowledge about the topic. I'm not against that either. I love to learn and never feel that I'm incapable of embracing new ideas or theories.

The qualifier topic is very mature, at least in the sense it has been identified as something which requires proper interpretation. That is where my comment is directed - to those who know. The monetary aspect, well....that's for each individual to decide on their own.

As for the examples presented, I'd choose neither at the price.

Hiya Travis

I thought I detected "tone" to your response.

If I was wrong and this was a "friendly" exchange?

My apologies.

Mike
  • Options
    No problem.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    I find myself much more concerned with centering now, which is a little puzzling to me. Obviously I would prefer better centered cards, but to the risk of numerical grade??? I think it must be due to the realized sales of well centered cards for the grade versus others. But, my original issue with cards with the o/c qualifier was this: You have a PSA 8 o/c which may be 50/50 t-b and 71/29 left to right. Yet, whether or not the card is in a straight 7 or even 6 or the 8 o/c, you are still staring at the exact same off centered borders. How does it being in a 6 or 7 help improve the aesthetics of the card at all? It doesn't make it strong for the grade even. If you are stuck with the centering issue either way, why not let the card scream out that I have nmt mint corners/perfect surface/clean edges etc as opposed to I have a few minor defects (touched corners, edges, surface imperfection) and I am still not centered very nicely?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lightningboy

I find myself much more concerned with centering now, which is a little puzzling to me. Obviously I would prefer better centered cards, but to the risk of numerical grade??? I think it must be due to the realized sales of well centered cards for the grade versus others. But, my original issue with cards with the o/c qualifier was this: You have a PSA 8 o/c which may be 50/50 t-b and 71/29 left to right. Yet, whether or not the card is in a straight 7 or even 6 or the 8 o/c, you are still staring at the exact same off centered borders. How does it being in a 6 or 7 help improve the aesthetics of the card at all? It doesn't make it strong for the grade even. If you are stuck with the centering issue either way, why not let the card scream out that I have nmt mint corners/perfect surface/clean edges etc as opposed to I have a few minor defects (touched corners, edges, surface imperfection) and I am still not centered very nicely?

It's a tough one Tom - I've become a centering nut also.

So, I'm pretty much priced out on many cards that I procrastinated in picking up.

My sincerest congratulations to those who did jump in.

What I like about OC? If you said you had an XXX OC 8? I have a picture in my mind. If there were not qualifier and one said they have an XXX 8? I would have to get more immediate info.

Early on - when PSA came on the scene and since most purchasing was done at shows or SCD?

Trust became the operative word in dealing with SCD. I'm sure you know how "that" went?

Mike
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny, back in the old days, 25-30 years ago it seemed to be all about razor sharp corners and edges. It has only been in the last 5-6 years, I think, where centering has become so ultra important. I wonder why the change. Maybe a few influential collectors decided it was most important and everyone else fell in line. Kind of like the hottest new style of shoe. To each his own I guess.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    According to many peeps on eBay o/c cards should be priced as high and/or higher that non-qualifier cards. One of my pet peeves, :LOL.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    It's funny, back in the old days, 25-30 years ago it seemed to be all about razor sharp corners and edges. It has only been in the last 5-6 years, I think, where centering has become so ultra important. I wonder why the change. Maybe a few influential collectors decided it was most important and everyone else fell in line. Kind of like the hottest new style of shoe. To each his own I guess.

I've always been more into corners and edges but you're right, ocd collectors are into centering and it is much easier to sell a card with great centering than sharp corners.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Agreed ^^^^

Pack pulled Mint 63 Rose

Centered = 150k

Not centered = 7.5k

Unbelievable