Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA labeling of set variations

I have been collecting a set with a number of variant cards -- basically 2nd issues, bearing the same card number as the original, but with a different person (i.e., there are 2 different card #24's, Cassius Clay (original) and Ray Illingworth (rare variant)).

PSA has labeled both cards as #24 in the set, without anything notating the fact that one is a variant. This seems problematic, but I wasn't sure if it may be normal practice for this sort of issue.

I'm sure there are many sets out there with similar types of variants, so if anyone has any experience or can provide details on how PSA has labeled others it would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    You have a better chance of accidentally dialing Lebron James and him actually talking to you..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jackstraw
    You have a better chance of accidentally dialing Lebron James and him actually talking to you..

appreciate the thread bump but you want to explain yourself?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mjohnatgt
    I would think if you submitted both cards and asked for one to be labeled 24A and the other 24B, either they would do that for you or send you a message asking for more information. You could also submit with the card name as "Ray Illingworth - Short Print" and see if they would label it that way. It is easier for them to do it initially rather than do it after grading some the first way, so if you know you're going to work on a set when it comes out, send them an email and let them know you're sending in cards and listing them as variations.

Appreciate the info. While the SP label would be ideal in this case, I don't recall ever seeing them label a card as such. Are you aware of any examples?

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    PSA has labeled both cards as #24 in the set, without anything notating the fact that one is a variant.

The different name is what identifies the variant. For PSA to call it A or B or SP then it would need to be documented that way in a catalog or guide. The set is listed in the Murray guide but there is no mention of any variations in the guide I have.
  • Options
    Gotcha, thanks!
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Basically I was saying that to get PSA to recognize and then actually label a variation would be tough.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    For baseball cards your best bet is to get the variation recognized first by SCD or Beckett. Not sure about Beckett but Tom Bartsch at SCD seems understaffed and overwhelmed to deal with catalog updates these days
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al