Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

To clean or not to clean?

Just got a fresh pop including some fleer stickers with an (ST) qualifier. One is an 86 Jordan. I'm inclined to crack them and try cleaning, but obviously don't want to damage them. Anyone have luck cleaning these?

Comments

• Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Yes, clean with pantyhose. Hold card down so it doesn't move and make sure to get it all off. Also be careful not to catch any corners with the pantyhose. Maybe practice on some less expensive ungraded stickers with wax stains first. Good luck!
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly. I have cracked an ST qualifier 1986 Fleer Jordan sticker, rubbed off the wax, resubbed, got a PSA 7.

Shane

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    Cracked the PSA 8 (ST), cleaned it up (actually used a glasses cleaning cloth) and the result popped yesterday -

Item #1 Cert #26151560 Grade MINT 9 Description 1986 Fleer Sticker 8 Michael Jordan

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Most excellent... congrats on a great card & bump!!!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panty hose work great.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic! Nice work!

It's always nice when a risky move pays off.
  • Options
    I have to say that the "new" psa holders can be tricky to crack. A couple of the other ones I cracked split down the front rather than on or near the seams. Still got them out without damage, but it was tense.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Batpig
    I have to say that the "new" psa holders can be tricky to crack. A couple of the other ones I cracked split down the front rather than on or near the seams. Still got them out without damage, but it was tense.

This is one reason that I love the new PSA slabs. I find myself trying to get my new cards in these slabs without paying for my cards with the reholder service. This is a huge upgrade that PSA made.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's good to hear, the old ones had to be the simplest to crack.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Cakes

So tough to crack open.

Make the older PSA slabs and BGS slabs look like child's play.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news about the pantyhose. I couldn't remember what to use and I need to take a gum stain off a Marino rookie that looks like a PSA 9+. fingers crossed.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Dpeck100
    Originally posted by: Cakes

So tough to crack open.

Make the older PSA slabs and BGS slabs look like child's play.

SGC is pretty simple to crack too.....

Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA 8ST to a 9?

I'd like a gross of pantyhose please. image

Good show - nice grade!
    Mike
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Stone193
    PSA 8ST to a 9?

I'd like a gross of pantyhose please. image

Good show - nice grade!

Quality pantyhose cannot be underestimated.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Nor the potential for acquiring ST'd cards for upgrades from people who aren't so informed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: travis t

Nor the potential for acquiring ST'd cards for upgrades from people who aren't so informed.

Shh...

In all seriousness though, I'm pretty sure that plenty of people are buying up (ST) Jordans, cleaning them up, and re subbing, because there isn't that big of a price difference on sold examples between stain qualifier and their no qualifier equivalent. No way would I risk it with a new holder though.