Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Auto'd '53BC Mantle: forgive me if I don't take you at your word

linky

"... has examined this item and it is our opinion that this item is genuine and authentic. We have come to this conclusion based on our experience and involvement with sports memorabilia. The scans that you see here are of the ACTUAL ITEM that you will receive. According to several discussion boards on Autograph Live, this Mantle autograph is an example of his earlier signature often used during his early playing days, which depicts a "swooping M", rather than the "half moon M" used towards the end of his career and into his retirement. The later signature style is most common and the one collector's are most familiar with. However, this earlier styled autograph is genuine, and as a matter of fact, less common."

Now, Mantle experts may chime in and agree that it's legit, but it sure doesn't look like any Mantle auto I've ever seen. Also, why not send it to PSA/DNA and make it official?

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Geordie ... I have to agree with you that the sig does not look right. Mick had two different signatures that I know about, before using the one that most people would recognize. The one on the card you brought up looks a little like one of the earlier ones, but something about it just does not look right.

As most of us know, Dean's prices on his cards are quite high. He is very knowledgeable about this business. He knows that if that card was slabbed by PSA/DNA it would sell for a LOT more than a raw version. Makes you wonder.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • canjondcanjond Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    I have to disagree on this one. I've seen this style before (and own a few myself), and I do think the signature looks good.
    For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
    Jon,

I'm not very good at authenticating autos. It just makes me think twice if a guy like Dean does not send it in to PSA for authentication.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I asked the seller if they could guarantee a particular card get a numerical grade from PSA. It disappeared, then reappeared a couple hundred dollars more in a PSA slab. He knows how to send cards to PSA.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Nope. I know early Mantle signatures pretty well. That looks nothing like an early Mantle sig I have ever seen. Maybe with his description he should say "We have come to this conclusion based on our experience and involvement with sports memorabilia, we know it is not authentic and would never pass third party authentication. For that is the reason we are selling it raw with our unrefundable word that we claim it's real."
    Here's Mantle's signature from 1956-57.
    imageimage
    For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
    Jon ... I agree that the one Dean is selling is similar to the ones you have. As I first wrote above, the sig does look like an early MICK signature. However, I still can't figure out why someone who knows so much about our hobby(?) would sell that card raw.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

I agree with that, Doug. That said, based on the bids it's already received, I'm not sure the PSA slab would have increased the selling price much.
  • well, I certainly would not pay $1000 for a card not deemed.."authentic", especially autographed. But that's just me.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    The Mantles posted here are good.....the one that is linked looks like a child's attempt. Either that or Mick was really hammered when he signed it.