Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Which 1960 Mantle do you like better?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the first one better.

edited to add: I just saw the little poll thing.
    Daniel
  • Bottom. Being off center top-to-bottom isn't as noticeable as the top card's left-to-right.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Second one
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    top, but it's close
  • CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    It's close. The spots in the Red bother me in the second.
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: NYYanksFan7
    Bottom. Being off center top-to-bottom isn't as noticeable as the top card's left-to-right.

I concur.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Crazylegs

Craig ... what really bothers me about the second one are those dots along the bottom of the top white border (toward the middle left).

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Maybe my favorite Mantle card. I've noticed two big issues with many examples of this card: the first has already been stated (splotches in the red area) and the second is the main image can often be a tad blurry. The top example here is best in both of those areas so it gets my vote.
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Hi Doug,

I like the top best. The print stuff in the bottom one turns me against it.

David

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

David ... how have you been? Long time no speak. I hope all is well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Top looks better to me.
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Neither are centered

i would choose the bottom one if i HAD to pick one
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top one IMO.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Centering is a bit better on the second one but registration (other than color) is better on the first. I would take the top one, but it is a tough call.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Vote right now is 19 for the top and only 6 for the bottom.

I'm going to let this run until this afternoon and then make a final comment regarding the two cards.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq
    Originally posted by: Crazylegs

Craig ... what really bothers me about the second one are those dots along the bottom of the top white border (toward the middle left).

Doug, I thought those were on the case. Those bother me too now that I know they're on the card.
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top has an obvious tilt looking at the bottom border and none at the top. Card looks warped (top 1/3 from left to bottom center) and miscut or altered. Give me the card that's at least squared up with tolerable LR centering. A little PD in the red and the very top edge doesn't bother me as much as the fisheye/PD in the black around the Yankee logo and name.
    Both of the above two cards were slabbed by PSA. I took both images off eBay. On June 26 I purchased the top card and it arrived today. Below is a better scan of the front & back of the card, which I think will show that there is no tilt nor is the card warped. BTW, the bottom card from my OP is graded PSA 4.

Very happy with the way it presents for a "2". I'm usually crazy about centering, but the l/r doesn't bother me too much on this card.

Gotta LOVE the way TPG downgrade a card for the slightest paper loss. If you look at the reverse you will notice slight "paper loss" on the left edge underneath the words "Season's Highlights". I don't think a piece is missing ... under a 15x loupe it seems to be a tiny piece of paper lifted up from the edge and then folded inward. It's sitting on top of the yellow circle. In addition, there is a slight crease on the reverse (which does not go to the front of the card). It is just below the baseball on the top left and runs for about 1/2".

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Doug - that is a beauty of a card. I agree, the eye appeal for a 2 is fantastic.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This experiment also illustrates how misleading scans can be when assigning a technical grade as defects like creases often will not even show up in scans, which can also affect the appearance of the card based on scanner settings and how good the scanner is. Centering is probably the one thing that a scan will accurately depict. That said, there are many cards with great eye appeal in lower grade holders, like the PSA 2 pictured above.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Remember Tim - slight paper loss on the reverse and a pin hole are your best friends.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Doug

I didn't get a chance to comment but the one you're showing was my choice - based on the quality of the printing - his portrait, lack of fisheye etc.

That's one beauty of a card for the grade buddy.
    Mike
    Thanks Mike. I am very happy to have the card to add to my low grade Mick collection. I think I paid the highest price for a PSA "2" according to VCP, but well worth it IMO.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug