Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Autograph 'team set' collecting dilemma

I am working on an autographed card set of 10 specific cards (think basic Topps team set, low cost cards). I have 8.

I have made custom cuts of the last 2 cards since signed versions are very rare (held in collections, less than 5 known exist).

I could "complete" the set with signed 'team leader' or 'season highlight' cards from the same Overall Set for $500-800 each (alot for me to spend on a not quite right card). But to do so I'd have to part with the customs cards, I can't keep both. Ideally, I'd get both until the exact cards show up (if ever), but I can't afford that now.

One of the leader/highlight cards has been offered to me, so I need to choose a path.

What would you do?

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    So the one offered to you is not from the BASIC SET you are trying to complete, but rather his auto is on a "team leader" card? If you go that route, you are still not completing the set as you originally planned. You make great custom cards, so if you already have the two in custom cards, I'd stay put. If you do, you HAVE to show us all ten!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've already got placeholders, why replace them with different placeholders?
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

The main reason is that least those are on-card.

Commissions

• Options
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq

So the one offered to you is not from the BASIC SET you are trying to complete, but rather his auto is on a "team leader" card? If you go that route, you are still not completing the set as you originally planned.

You make great custom cards, so if you already have the two in custom cards, I'd stay put. If you do, you HAVE to show us all ten!

Yes, thats exactly right and the exact reason I have the problem.

Thanks, I will post them at some point.

Commissions

• Options
    I don't like customs at all, at least not when they're made of cut autos. At least the others are real cards and would have on-card autos. I'd go with those.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

I agree with this. Are the customs made from their original cards from the set? With your skills, those would be my place holders if possible.

Good luck.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mjohnatgt

I wouldn't spend hundreds to get an autograph on specific card you don't really want to just sort-of fill a spot that you do want. Are these players' autographs normally $400 each or $40 each or $4 each? To me, that would give some better info to those helping you.

The signature for the customs cost me 100 and 300.

Commissions

• Options
    Just an opinion, as the rest above, but I'd go for the on card auto cards from the year. Can't have a mixed cut and on card set. The placeholder situation would still exist but the on card autos are a step closer and are from the same card year. And isn't that what a lot of us do, closer step by closer step, building the set.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: vintagefun

I agree with this. Are the customs made from their original cards from the set? With your skills, those would be my place holders if possible.

Good luck.

Yes, it's original cards in the customs.

Commissions

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I often wonder what I'd do if I were building an old hockey auto set and there were a few cards that I just couldn't get (think Terry Sawchuk). I'd complete as much of it as possible and have custom cut cards made of the very few that are unattainable.
  • Options
    Alright, thanks for the comments and tolerating my vague OP. I did that cause it's a Star Wars set.

1977 topps Star Wars has a bunch of character cards, which is what I wanted to get. The rest of the set is scene based, which i described above as team leader/season highlights.

Here is what I have:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Not going to upgrade this one.

Here are the 2 customs that I want to find On Card. These exact cards preferred.

imageimage

This is what I was offered, that I need to decide about soon.

Commissions

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    i don't think you can go wrong with the ford, it's definitely a better placeholder than the cut until you find the one you want

guinness and cushing are going to be a different story
  • Options
    Yeah I would take the yellow ford.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    does Harrison Ford ever do comicons or autograph signings?
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I'd get the Ford.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: maddux69

does Harrison Ford ever do comicons or autograph signings?

He does signings through 2 companies, but does not allow send ins. Only whatever items are chosen by the vendor.

Commissions