Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Questions on an Alexander III Drachm

I'm curious if it's possible to determine when this drachm was minted. From what I've read, if Zeus' legs are apart, then it's life-time, if together then it's posthumous but I suspect this is an extreme over simplification (as are many things in the world of ancient coins). Unfortunately, NGC did not label this coin one way or the other. Can I assume the dating on the coin is indeed correct and it's a life-time issue or is there simply no way to tell?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    You are right about the crossed vs uncrossed legs. It's a general guideline, but not 100% accurate. Price attributes your coin to the Abydos mint, circa 328-323 B.C., so it would be fair to call is a 'lifetime' issue.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CIVITAS
    You are right about the crossed vs uncrossed legs. It's a general guideline, but not 100% accurate. Price attributes your coin to the Abydos mint, circa 328-323 B.C., so it would be fair to call is a 'lifetime' issue.

Thank you!!
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool info and coin - thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    nice pics from a beautifull Alexander drachm , NGC gave it a high rating with a star on top, congrats
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the kind words. This is the coin I mentioned a month ago that I found in an ICG holder labeled VF30. To me, the coin looked far better than a VF so I took a chance and submitted it to NGC. I meant to photograph it in its original holder but didn't. Fortunately, NGC sent back the former ICG label.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, congrats on the significant grade bump, the perfect strike/surface ratings, the star(!), and the generally more popular plastic.

I had not heard the thing about Zeus' legs being crossed or uncrossed. Interesting.

(FWIW, I have yet to get a "star" from NGC for anything, despite a few pieces that obviously deserved one.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Dave , well done.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.