Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWPS: Common Morgans in OGH

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
I found a little coin shop while on vacation last week...
The man behind the counter told me these were common, so I could have them for $30 ea.
How can you say no?

Comments

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic find!!!

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    The 1896 has a different font on the label. Is it a different slab type/version?
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like he made quite an error
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, he must be buying right!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good point AUandAG, guess if he bought them for double face $2 each he can sell em for $30 LOL
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a bargain! Did you ask what other "common" stuff he had for sale?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

I picked out one, asked how much and bought it.
    After I left, I thought I'd better go back in and ask about the others, just to see. They had an old green pcgs box about half full of these. The ones I didn't buy had spot or uneven toning, but I probably should have just bought the whole box. He told me he was paying $15 for common Morgans, and had to double his money.

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickups. Congrats.

Mike
  • Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice buy ! 1896 is gen 4, others are gen 5

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DNADave
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

I picked out one, asked how much and bought it.
    After I left, I thought I'd better go back in and ask about the others, just to see. They had an old green pcgs box about half full of these. The ones I didn't buy had spot or uneven toning, but I probably should have just bought the whole box. He told me he was paying $15 for common Morgans, and had to double his money.

...I'm guessing a classic case of onset dementia at work here...nice pickups and yes, you should have grabbed the whole box...would have saved him the trouble of showing someone else that he is crazy image

• Options
    Originally posted by: 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD

...I'm guessing a classic case of onset dementia at work here...nice pickups and yes, you should have grabbed the whole box...would have saved him the trouble of showing someone else that he is crazy image

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $30 for 64s? image
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be eating Ramen noodles for a while to acquire some niceties like those that money! Nice job!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Too bad you can't go back and do it again.

The shop will be out of business on your next vacation image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lowest MS64 Morgans got in the past 15 years was to around $38 in 2001-2003. Maybe the guy has a time machine?

MS64 Saints are common too. Does this guy have any of those for say $700?
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Originally posted by: roadrunner
    The lowest MS64 Morgans got in the past 15 years was to around $38 in 2001-2003. Maybe the guy has a time machine?

MS64 Saints are common too. Does this guy have any of those for say $700?

I sure thought about it. One side of me was saying to keep asking, keep buying. The other side saying don't be greedy. I paid what he quoted, with a back to back visit. I don't know if he was just being good to me, was slipping, or what.

Remember the threads about when to tell a dealer you think they've priced something wrong? I was right on the edge of that, so I guess that's where my line is. If he'd said "$25" I might have said something, but he had reasoning behind his price.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice score!
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya sweet deal for sure. The older box was worth a little also. Did you get that by chance?
  • Options
    As dumb as this guy seems, imagine the person selling them for $15 each. As I think about it more, he might be the smart one in town.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Along with this box of late 1990s era slabs, looks like he picked up a 1996 greysheet that he used for pricing.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice score. they look good.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file