Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wish Anacs Coins were reviewed by CAC

BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone on the forum know why CAC doesn't consider ANACS coins for stickers?

I have no problem with holding onto my NGC coins with green and gold stickers and have even recently paid a strong premium for NGC Indians 2 1/2 in MS 65

I have a fairly large amount of small ANACS holdered coins and a good rate of those that I had screened and sent to PCGS cross at Grade and with more upgrades than DNC (would those qualify as gold sticker ANACS?)

Considering the fees and 1% grading premium (at PCGS price guide valuations) I'd be happy to just keep ANACS coins with stickers and consider them equal to other stickered TPG coins.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should but it is not in the cards.

There are collectors that liked Anacs for their attribution service back in the day.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BIGAL2749

Does anyone on the forum know why CAC doesn't consider ANACS coins for stickers?

I have no problem with holding onto my NGC coins with green and gold stickers and have even recently paid a strong premium for NGC Indians 2 1/2 in MS 65

I have a fairly large amount of small ANACS holdered coins and a good rate of those that I had screened and sent to PCGS cross at Grade and with more upgrades than DNC (would those qualify as gold sticker ANACS?)

Considering the fees and 1% grading premium (at PCGS price guide valuations) I'd be happy to just keep ANACS coins with stickers and consider them equal to other stickered TPG coins.

When CAC was forming they reviewed many ANACS certified coins and found the sticker rate was too low to justify accepting them. That is what I understood as to why ANACS are a no go.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have crossed many small white anacs coins to PCGS with very nice results. Don't want or need the sticker.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes, people just have to draw the line somewhere. If I was CAC, I'd do the same thing.

If you want a sticker for a coin, just get it into one of the two brand holders that they do review.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've talked on the phone with John on this subject - expanding CAC stickers to other TPGS. As far as company profit; IMO it would make sense to sticker a coin in any slab - big deal. The sticker is for the coin not the TPGS. If they sticker the Brand-X coin it implies they will purchase it. More coins sent in more money. NOTE: I never asked John about this but if CAC only charges for coins it stickers and rejects sent in are free - that's the simple reason. If this is not the case, then it boils down to: It is his company and he is free to do what he wishes.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paying the 1% fee to get any coin in a PCGS holder is always worth it value wise. Contrary to what many think about the old small Anacs slabs, I have found the higher value coins to be overgraded like the example below. There is zero chance this coin will ever look out the PCGS window at the same grade.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

Paying the 1% fee to get any coin in a PCGS holder is always worth it value wise. Contrary to what many think about the old small Anacs slabs, I have found the higher value coins to be overgraded like the example below. There is zero chance this coin will ever look out the PCGS window at the same grade.

I think they had a rather liberal interpretation of "AU-58" as well.

Maybe because back then, there just wasn't much difference, price wise, between 50 and 58. Today, it can be a significant step up.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every day, CAC sounds like too much ado about something that should be irrelevant.

Either that or NGC and PCGS should be.

I will ...buy... a sticker, but I sure as shootin won't pay to send an existing one in for what eventually will just be a historical footnote in numismatics.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is one common denominator with the CAC haters. They have not nor ever plan to use CAC. To blindly criticize something that you do not understand or have never used seems foolish.

Spend 30 seconds at HA.com looking at selling prices and then come argue with me.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is one common denominator with the CAC haters. They have not nor ever plan to use CAC. To blindly criticize something that you do not understand or have never used seems foolish.

Spend 30 seconds at HA.com looking at selling prices and then come argue with me.

What gives you the idea that I ...hate...them?

Did you miss the part where I said I...buy...them?

I just don't feel like sending coins IN that I am satisfied with.

Good for HA selling prices.

It's only natural to charge more to recoup expense.

Time will judge the value of the service.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think of all the people who are on the, 'buy the coin and not the holder' bandwagon, JA would be one of them. There are thousands of wonderful coins in ANACS holders. Who is going to try and cross $100-$200 valued coins just to see if they sticker? But the sticker is for unsight buying, for those who have time consuming jobs and families. I get a chuckle when I see these stickers in a dealer's showcase. Such coins have likely been rejected as anything in demand unless you believe in fate. image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Has CAC EVER started accepting new submitters? I know dealers wishing to submit who have been on a waiting list since 2012
    Whats up with those guys? Hire a few more experts.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wabbit; I think there is a 10-20% chance that will cross at pcgs ms65.

It looks like a standard ms64+ coin and those eventually make it into 65 holders
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still, it would be nice if CAC gave us the option to send them in and let them decide. CAC makes their money either way. If they only sticker 1% of small white anacs slabs, so be it. I've got a couple I think are very nice for the grade.

Limit it to the small white slabs. That way their is no confusion. Even if the later non-alphanumeric small white slabs have an even smaller chance of stickering. If CAC gave consumers the option, it would be the submitters taking the risk and CAC making the money on the submissions.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contrary to what many think about the old small Anacs slabs, I have found the higher value coins to be overgraded like the example below.
    The higher the value of the coin, the more the market puts a premium on it being in a PCGS or NGC holder. Over time, the best coins will be crossed out of the ANACS holders, and you're left with a smaller sample that is artificially lower in quality. As an example, let's say ANACS graded 1000 coins at MS65, and 80% were correctly graded, and 20% overgraded. Of those 800 coins, let's say 700 eventually moved to PCGS or NGC to maximize their value. Now 300 coins remain, and 200 are overgraded. It doesn't mean ANACS did a bad job so much as their flaws are exposed as their best work is transferred.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: airplanenut

Contrary to what many think about the old small Anacs slabs, I have found the higher value coins to be overgraded like the example below.
    The higher the value of the coin, the more the market puts a premium on it being in a PCGS or NGC holder. Over time, the best coins will be crossed out of the ANACS holders, and you're left with a smaller sample that is artificially lower in quality. As an example, let's say ANACS graded 1000 coins at MS65, and 80% were correctly graded, and 20% overgraded. Of those 800 coins, let's say 700 eventually moved to PCGS or NGC to maximize their value. Now 300 coins remain, and 200 are overgraded. It doesn't mean ANACS did a bad job so much as their flaws are exposed as their best work is transferred.

Very well stated, I completely agree.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: topstuf

Every day, CAC sounds like too much ado about something that should be irrelevant.

Either that or NGC and PCGS should be.

I will ...buy... a sticker, but I sure as shootin won't pay to send an existing one in for what eventually will just be a historical footnote in numismatics.

This is the problem. In an ideal world, there would be NO NEED for a CAC sticker. The TPGS's would be more precise/correct with their original grading. Over & under graded coins would be VERY SCARCE because the under graded coins would get "fixed," there would be no problem w/correctly graded coins, and the number of over graded coins would be much less than there is now.

So, no one hates CAC (except perhaps the guys who's coins don't sticker). It's too bad we need them to confirm the grade that other "experts" have given the coin.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CAC is just another incentive........but only if you can find someone who believes that. Than you'll make a little more money........oh wait, hold that thought. image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file