Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which would you rather have.... Unopened or psa Rc's?

Ok here is one of those futurevalue/ which would you rather have posts.... Let's be up front about it! There was a post about the boards being boring so let's have a discussion thread. I love unopened wax first and foremost over the years but in the past year it has been all HOF Rc's for me. So has your focus shifted? I am curious on thoughts of future value of unopened versus psa graded Rc's. If you had a Seaver RC in psa 8 and let's say a 77 and 78 Bbce baseball boxes which is worth more in 5 years? The Seaver or the combination of the 77 and 78 boxes.

Comments

• Options
    Let's liven things up with a topic that this board needs like a hole in the head!
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    And how does the National affect values on either unopened or psa HOF Rc's is any? Is there any bump or decline typically after the National?
  • Options
    If I were answering the question in the title of your thread, I would much rather have the cards than the unopened. After reading your OP, and seeing you're wondering about future value, I really have no idea. I'm guessing the unopened will appreciate more, given dwindling supply, but that's just a guess.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Both. I gave up on either/or and just get what I feel is worthwhile as something to appreciate. My focus shifts from here to there, but I would never want to choose. When I did try to become that selective, it made me miserable. Now life is puppy dogs and lollipops.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. PSA RCs...
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Aw yes some good replies! Thx guys.... And what about any particular trends post National. I am wondering if typically we see any changes of notice in the month or two after the National in prices or trends?
  • Options
    The happenings ARE The National. The only trend will be people wondering what Steve managed to carry back to his shop after the purge. The concern right now should be the ability of dealers to maintain the momentum of the recent price increases.
  • Options
    Prices usually plummet. Sell now!!
  • Options
    LOL. Expect that to happen on monster boxes of '89 Upper Deck commons after all the Griffeys go to Beckett. ;-)
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: doctorperfecto
    Let's liven things up with a topic that this board needs like a hole in the head!

Originally posted by: doctorperfecto
    Prices usually plummet. Sell now!!

I'm still trying to figure out what you're bringing to the collecting community's table, both in this thread and in general. As far as I can tell, your forte seems to be asking silly questions without the slightest interest in whatever answer is provided, or posting snarky replies in legitimate threads. Either way, your behavior is not indicative of an actual collector, but rather is the tried and true behavior of someone who has been shown the door on numerous occasions.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take the graded PSA 8's on any of the older stuff.

Unopened is a form of gambling in the hobby. One day your packs can produce off centered garbage and the next rip they are all centered beauties.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I know for certain is the National is great for winning eBay auctions at a discount.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

All I know for certain is the National is great for winning eBay auctions at a discount.

I would love to believe that. All I get are visions of my competitors walking towards each other while using mobile phone apps and having a terrible mid-aisle collision as the auction is about to end.
  • Options
    Let's stop have discussions on FV of our PC.

As far as a graded rookie v bbce box, I would much rather have a centered '67 Seaver over a '77 box any day. I enjoy looking at my collection, upgrading and show them to other collectors.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love both for different reasons. Plus, as long as this Mays remains on back of this rack, I can envision it sitting inside a PSA 10 holder. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ...now a rack pack w/ a HoFer is much better than a sealed box imho.

Great rack pack.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Tim and I think very few are serious about both. With that being said, unopened pop declines with each rip. Graded pop increases either through raw subs, cracks, or reviews. So long as there's no intent to open, I'm with the LTV leaning to the FASC box using supply principle, and something about some dude's cat. Though I'd say there's more demand for the graded RCs...and they take less space.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I like to sub cards to PSA, and then keep the package sealed when they send them back.

So, both, I guess
  • Options
    Well I honestly have been thinking about selling more of the unopened to fund more purchases of HOF cards but was concerned about a crash or correction on those soon
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    " ...but rather is the tried and true behavior of someone who has been shown the door on numerous occasions."

Could not agree more.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would personally much prefer the seaver. I always considered unopened vintage as cool, but sort of lumped it into the ephemera category. My unopened has never been a centerpiece, always pieces that accentuate the real gems. I have always been about the single cards. From what I have personally opened, and seen opened, most vintage packs are filled with either oc or pd semi stars or commons. I would rather know what I have in a single card than have unopened which I have no idea what lurks beneath the wax.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as drperfecto, I think if we ignore, he goes away.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Originally posted by: VintagemanEd

Well I honestly have been thinking about selling more of the unopened to fund more purchases of HOF cards but was concerned about a crash or correction on those soon

A correction is virtually inevitable after a runup like we've seen over the past few months. The $64,000 question is when will it take place.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Both are nice to have. If I had to pick one...I would go with unopened. People are always going to enjoy opening vintage packs regardless what is happening with the overall card market. So I feel unopened has a better chance of holding and even gaining in value.

And who says unopened packs and boxes aren't enjoyable to look at? When I look at them, I like to imagine it in a time capsule sitting on a candy store shelf.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: GrandMasterB

Great rack pack.

As is a rack with a manager giving everyone the bird.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lahmejoon

Originally posted by: GrandMasterB

Great rack pack.

As is a rack with a manager giving everyone the bird.

LOL, yes indeed.

Thanks, GMB.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually like this topic as I collect both unopened and HOF RC's. From a fun standpoint of what I like to collect I would go: 1a: Unopened Rack/Cello with HOFer or Star showing, 1b. HOF RC and 3. Unopened Boxes (BBCE) or Packs (PSA). I like unopened boxes, but they take up a lot of space in my house and unless it happens to be a wax box there is not a lot of visual beauty to them as they are basically just boxes without pictures in most cases. Now an authentic unopened rack or cello that has survived with a HOFer (especially a HOF RC) is a sight to behold as is a high grade or high eye appeal HOF RC, which is why those two collectibles are 1a and 1b for me and my collection.

As to your question as it relates to investment purposes, it is my opinion that you need to look at them on a very case by case basis. For instance, in 2015 after the large unopened price run-up of 2013 and 2014 an unopened box of 1980-81 Topps BK (BBCE wrapped) was probably in the $4,000 range. Meanwhile, the Magic Bird card in PSA 9 had increased in value slightly and was changing hands for around $2,000. At that point, an investment in the PSA 9 RC would have been wise as it had room to grow relative to the run-up seen in the unopened box. PWCC sold a PSA 9 Bird Magic for $6226 the other day. Granted that may have been an anomaly, but prices have been solid in the $4k range for that card for a while now. So essentially, that card has doubled since 2015 (and at least in one case tripled)! Meanwhile, 1980 box sales have also seen recent increases, but only to the $4500-$5000 range. So while the HOF RC in this case doubled, the box has seen a 10-20% increase. In this particular case, I actually think both have come to their appropriate price levels as my opinion for this card and box is that the prices should be roughly equivalent. I think future price increases should see the card and box trade at equivalent increases. The lesson (if there is one) in this case was that when the unopened price took off and the RC price was stagnant, the bargain at the time was the HOF RC.

This principle also worked in reverse for 1986 Fleer. I don't recall the exact dates, but I remember buying a 1986 Fleer PSA 8 unopened pack for about $350 sometime in 2012 or 2013. The prices of those packs remained unchanged for years, even as the Michael Jordan RC continued to climb and climb (but still before the recent explosions). The example here probably started with the PSA 9 MJ RC selling in the $1000-1200 range and increasing to over $2000. So in this case, the HOF RC doubled and the pack price was stagnant. Fast forward and nearly overnight (around the time PSA stopped grading wax packs for a time because of the gum moving problem), the 1986 wax pack in PSA 8 doubled in price catching up and finding the level of the HOF RC's increase. So in this case, the unopened was the bargain as the HOF RC ran up and left it behind.

If you want a current example, 1986 Topps FB wax boxes experienced a recent doubling in price (and tripling and more in the case of FASC boxes). These were selling for $850 for the longest time, sometime this year someone decided that they should sell for more, a lot more. Prices jumped, and I actually sold my non X-out box for over $2k. At the same as wax boxes were selling for $850 Jerry Rice PSA 9's had been steadily increasing in value and had basically doubled from $250 to $500 at the same time box prices went from about $600 to $850. So in this case, the box was lagging the HOF RC. Earlier this year, we saw the exponential jump in box prices, but Rice RC's have "only" increased from $500 to the $650-700 range. At the current time, I would much rather buy 3 Jerry Rice PSA 9 cards than buy one unopened box.

Of course, all these examples are based on the memories of someone who has an infant and does not remember what sleeping through the night feels like, so there's that. In the end, there are two bits of advice that are usually pretty true no matter the market:

Collect what you like

and for the investor,

Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful

Steve
  • Options
    Now Slum22 that is some serious thought and info! Great stuff! Thank you
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Shhhhh!! ??
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Well played, slum!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

If I were answering the question in the title of your thread, I would much rather have the cards than the unopened. After reading your OP, and seeing you're wondering about future value, I really have no idea. I'm guessing the unopened will appreciate more, given dwindling supply, but that's just a guess.

Dan, my friend. THIS !

THEY are going to add another rule on page one that says

"If entering a post it must have at least some specific value. The value can be of the following nature: knowledge, a viewpoint, a like or dislike, a suggestion, a fact, a lie with a caveat, whacky fun which most ignore, or other, which brings at least some substance to the reader so as to not waste prescious seconds of the readers life reading it"

• Options
    My choice: A PSA 10 rookie that I myself ripped from an unopened box
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a collecting standpoint I prefer the graded card option. I like to see the card. To some extent I view unopened like I see factory sets. You don't see the guts. I liken it to a mint 63 Corvette locked up in a garage never to view it, much less drive it. However, I can understand ones allure to unopened. For me I would be just as happy having a "manufacured" dummy box with commons rewrapped in original wrappers. I then could enjoy the beauty of the box/wrapper artwork and never sweat the future value aspect. But that's the collector in me speaking. From an investment standpoint the market/time will decide which will be the more valuable. I do feel that liquidating single cards may be easier as there may be a broader(?) market for singles over unopened. In my sphere of contacts the collectors prefer single, viewable cards of their favorite players.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Opened or unopened? That is the question lol.

Something really intrigues me about unopened packs and boxes (more so packs). I just really like seeing a pack from 1955 (just as an example), and knowing that there really aren't many around. I always wanted to get into collecting unopened vintage packs but they're just too expensive.

I'd really like to have/collect both but to answer the question... I'd probably rather have the graded rc's. Not because I think they will be more valuable in the future but I like having a nice, graded copy of a particular player. As for which will retain or gain the most value, I really couldn't speculate.
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    I love the unknown, the what ifs......that is why I like sealed wax better. Yes, a card can look beautiful raw or cased, but to have that possibility of a high grade just sitting in a box is a rush for me.
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    I can't see a market correction anytime in the near future on this Vintage RC craze. It might stabilize. It may tapper off but I think certain cards have seen new baselines in prices and let's be honest the ones taking the really huge leaps are iconic hobby standards. The Aaron RC has been underpriced for years IMO, not no more and the 55 Clemente is a legit tough card of a legend loved for just as many off the field things as on. I'll admit that the Koufax RC has puzzled me a bit, it's close to 5x what I paid for a nice 7 about three years ago? Still he has a mythical status in the game and hobby, did things no guy will probably ever do again in the game, not statistically I mean winning 20+ with a arthritic elbow. His specially made sleeve to put his arm back together after he pitched is in the hall for heavens sake! I personally look at early Topps cards as mini pieces of art. The whole 53 set legitimately is.
  • Options
    As far as opened or unopened. I guess I'm more of a traditionalist, if someone put 5 unopened 1979 wax boxes in front of me as a kid they would have lasted about 10 minutes about as long as it took me to feverishly rip them open and in a blinding blur "Gottem,Gottem,Neddem,Neddem" into piles. Might take me 20 minutes nowadays as I'd have to go over a list now, my mind isn't as sharp. Anyhow I can completely understand the rush of the unknown though. I just like looking thru my cards is all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BLUEJAYWAY
    From an investment standpoint the market/time will decide which will be the more valuable. I do feel that liquidating single cards may be easier as there may be a broader(?) market for singles over unopened.

Agreed on both points, I know many singles collectors who don't collect unopened, but can't think of any unopened collectors who don't collect singles as well.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    From an investment standpoint the market/time will decide which will be the more valuable. I do feel that liquidating single cards may be easier as there may be a broader(?) market for singles over unopened.

Agreed on both points, I know many singles collectors who don't collect unopened, but can't think of any unopened collectors who don't collect singles as well.

...but I don't know a single card collector who doesn't enjoy opening an older pack.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: RookieWax

...but I don't know a single card collector who doesn't enjoy opening an older pack.

Fair point, but at current prices that's not really happening much with any pre-78. 80s is still a relatively cheap gamble in most cases.
  • Options
    Unopened have corrected and will remain flat for awhile. RC's is such a gamble now. Odds are better for more of an increase than a price correction but both are still in the cards.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus, as long as this Mays remains on back of this rack, I can envision it sitting inside a PSA 10 holder.

Hiya Tim

We haven't talked much lately.

I'm with you all the way.

While I enjoy looking at my stuff, there's something cool about the "rack" and the allure of not knowing what's inside the pack.

I say: "can't we have both?"
    Mike