Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Whither NYINC 2018?

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Maybe they'll move it to New Jersey? Houston would work for me though.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Waldorf is owned by a Chinese company.

Maybe they can use it to sell...

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Plenty of other venues in NYC. Hotels, piers, Javits Center, etc.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1
    Plenty of other venues in NYC. Hotels, piers, Javits Center, etc.

The current location is great for me; there is a nice but inexpensive hotel just east of the W-A that is also dog-friendly. It is also easy for me to drive there from NJ. Easy for Z too, because I think he walks.

I hope wherever it ends up is similarly convenient. Hoping MrE will chime in...

EVP

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad... Say it isn't so

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not a complete surprise, and I know that show management has been searching for alternative locations for quite a while. No idea if they have found anything yet. In any event, I'd be very surprised if they cannot find something suitable in NYC.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrEureka

This is not a complete surprise, and I know that show management has been searching for alternative locations for quite a while. No idea if they have found anything yet. In any event, I'd be very surprised if they cannot find something suitable in NYC.

Yeah, like the venue where the PNG show was held two years back.... image
  • Options
    I like the Waldorf but I would honestly like room to breathe while I am looking at the coins. The current rooms are a bit tight.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should move it to NJ - somewhere close to the City - there are more than enough venues to place NYINC at in close by jersey with ample transportation of ALL means and connections to the City and airports - the WA has been a pain and a hassle for many. JMHO
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be reluctant to go anywhere not easily reached by train, from Long Island. Jersey? What a pain that would be. Maybe Loew's Jersey, in Jersey City, but probably not the best place to have a large international show.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Zohar
    CoinWorld

Northern NJ suburbs of NYC would, of course, be ideal for those who drive. But, I can't think of a good place in northern NJ that would be a good site for this show: adequate convention space, hotels within easy access of show, and restaurants within easy reach of the show.

CICF in Rosemont is barely adequate for the food situation.

I would love for a nice coin show to be located in Atlantic City.

EVP

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will miss the classy and old-time feel of the hotel convention rooms if the show is moved to a more "conventional" convention center.

Of course the location must be determined based on convenience, security, accommodations, etc, with decor and atmosphere as a much less important attribute.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: EVillageProwler
    CoinWorld

Northern NJ suburbs of NYC would, of course, be ideal for those who drive. But, I can't think of a good place in northern NJ that would be a good site for this show: adequate convention space, hotels within easy access of show, and restaurants within easy reach of the show.

EVP

I believe that if the show is to continue to draw numismatists from around the world, the show has to be in a first class big city environment. (Consider the decline of the CICF ever since it moved from downtown Chicago to Rosemont.) And you can't get any better than NYC.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that if the show is to continue to draw numismatists from around the world, the show has to be in a first class big city environment. (Consider the decline of the CICF ever since it moved from downtown Chicago to Rosemont.) And you can't get any better than NYC.

I guess I agree so scratch Jersey for nowimage
  • Options
    Marc - wherever it is PLEASE find a way to make it in on the Friday.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally selfishly I wish it would move to San Francisco. We are starved here and it's certainly moving up as a center of international commerce.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MrEureka
    Originally posted by: EVillageProwler
    CoinWorld

EVP

Ok, I concede. What about Javits? I was just there for the Stamp show, and it's adequate in size. I guess if a bunch of international stamp dealers and collectors can go there, why not coins too?

EVP

• Options
    Javits is in a crappy location - I would opt for a hotel off Times Square - easy access, large enough.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Original Dan, I seem to recall there was a great show in San Francisco, back when I was living there, 1978 to 1981. That is where I first met Karl Stephens.
    As for Manhattan, I seem to remember that there was a show at the Marriott Marquis, in Midtown.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    I just got home from a major law enforcement convention at the Atlantic City Convention Center. It is a great venue but I think that AC's reputation as a city in decline would scare away a lot of dealers and collectors. Best to keep the show in NYC in my opinion.

• Options
    Originally posted by: harasha

Original Dan, I seem to recall there was a great show in San Francisco, back when I was living there, 1978 to 1981. That is where I first met Karl Stephens.

As for Manhattan, I seem to remember that there was a show at the Marriott Marquis, in Midtown.

Harasha - this is exactly the preferred location. Quite a few big themed hotels in the area with a capacity to host a broad attendance. While we lose the historical Waldorf Astoria ambience - we allow more space for the exhibit. The Waldorf is tightly packed.

• Options
    Marriot Marquis - didn't we have a couple of Summer ANA shows there?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never understood why FUN and NYNIC don't cooperate with each other instead of being on top of each other almost every year!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin
    I never understood why FUN and NYNIC don't cooperate with each other instead of being on top of each other almost every year!

I think very few collectors would go to both. More dealers would go to both, but I wonder how many? I can see World dealers going to FUN, but not many US dealers would go to NYINC.