Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BGS centering guidelines

I recently sent 2 Jordan sticker RCs to bgs and was surprised by low subgrades on centering. I checked with pixel ruler before sending and came up with .5 to 1 grade higher than received assuming they use similar standards to psa. I sent email questioning subgrades and standards and received this response.

"Brian do not describe or list each sets guidelines. They are different measurements for different sets and we do not publish it as it is proprietary."

Of course their decision, but seems a little unfair.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen so many cards graded Gem 9.5 with 9.5 centering I find it laughable. It seems odd that they are actually tougher on some cards than others on centering. I find BGS to be a joke company anyway. Why would you not send the stickers to PSA ?
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
    I sent one to psa and got an 8 and cracked out, thought I could get a 9 at bgs. I will post scans when I have a chance. Thanks for the feedback
  • Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
    Here are the scans and the subgrades:

Centering Grade : 6.0
    Corner Grade : 9.0
    Edges Grade : 8.5
    Surfaces Grade : 9.0
    Final Grade : 7.0

Centering Grade : 7.5
    Corner Grade : 8.5
    Edges Grade : 9.0
    Surfaces Grade : 8.5
    Final Grade : 8.0

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rexvos
    I have seen so many cards graded Gem 9.5 with 9.5 centering I find it laughable. It seems odd that they are actually tougher on some cards than others on centering. I find BGS to be a joke company anyway. Why would you not send the stickers to PSA ?

Yeah because other grading companies NEVVVERRR over-grade cards!

And fwiw, BGS actually has stricter centering guidelines than PSA. Look it up.
  • Options
    First one: agree with B.G.S.

Second one: resubmittal
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second sticker has an obvious tilt to it. If not for that, a real nice sticker.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrNearMint
    Originally posted by: rexvos

Yeah because other grading companies NEVVVERRR over-grade cards!

And fwiw, BGS actually has stricter centering guidelines than PSA. Look it up.

Maybe they do, and yes I get your point. I just would never use them.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies