Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crossover questions

REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
Its been many years since I tried a crossover to PCGS. If you submit a coin, let say NGC MS63 and you specify the option "CURRENT" - "Request to cross at grade listed on holder", does this mean that the only possibilities are either DNC or PCGS MS63? Is there no chance at getting a 63+ or 64 upgrade?

Or do I have to choose the "ANY" grade option and take my chances (possible downgrade)?

Do the graders who decide whether it meets the crossover specification also actually do the final grading?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you specify current it can grade higher. But they will not cross if they grade it lower.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    When you specific a grade on the form, that is the Minimum grade you will accept to cross over. It may go higher but never lower.

The grade is determined by the same flow, 2 graders and a finalizer, and all need to agree just like any other coin.

Keep in mind there is an extra fee for coins that crossover - IIRC it's 1% but may be higher.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    It is a 1% fee.
    The whole story from the PCGS web site.

CROSSOVER: For a coin previously graded (currently encapsulated) by another grading service. Minimum Grade: PCGS will holder the coin only if it meets or exceeds your specific request notated in the Minimum Grade column on the front of the submission form.

Please specify one of the following options in the minimum grade column. If you leave this area blank, PCGS will assume the minimum grade is the grade currently on the holder.
    •CURRENT - Requests coin to cross at grade listed on holder.
    •ANY – Requests coin to cross at any numerical grade (01-70).
    •DETAILS – Requests coin to cross at any numerical grade or Genuine no-Grade.
    •LOWER GRADE – If you would like to specify a lower grade than listed on the holder, write your acceptable numerical grade (include suffix if applicable).

Note the following limitations apply:
    •You cannot specify a higher minimum grade.
    •You cannot specify a minimum details grade for existing genuine-holdered coins.
    •First Strike or equivalent will not be recognized.

Fees: Grading fees will apply whether the coin crosses or not. Coins that do cross will also be charged a Guarantee Premium based on the value of the coin.*

*The Guarantee Premium is equal to 1% of the value of the coin in its final grade. The value of the coin is determined by the PCGS Price Guide value for that grade or the Declared Value of the coin, if the Price Guide value is not available. The minimum amount for the Guarantee Premium is $5. PCGS reserves the right to make the final determination of the coin’s value
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CA5MAN

Is there a default if you don't pick one? I accidentally submitted one holdered by NGC along with a raw submission and basically just selected grading because I was too preoccupied to remove it. I did get some emails about the screw up and my order was split in 2. I don't recall making any selection because geez I forgot and wasn't thinking crossover at all just grading.

It was going in for a shot at top pop standalone but the economy submission is taking so long it would appear someone else beat me to the top pop spot per the pop report. It'd be nice if it jumped up a point.

How can you accidently submit an NGC holdered coin along with raw coins, and then say you let it go because you were preoccupied. So it appears it was not accidental then, and what a crazy way to send in a submission by the way.
  • Options

Considering I wasn't trying to do a "cross" over and just grading, I figured they'd take it outta there and I had a lot going on. Whats crazy about it, I forgot it had to be cracked out.

Ya know, I can imagine you back in high school duck taped to a wall image.

My mistake. I thought you were saying you were too lazy to remove the coin from the order, not the coin from the holder.

On a side note, I can imagine you not ever being in school. You do realize this is a crossover thread, or were you preoccupied again?
  • Options

I don't recall making any selection because geez I forgot

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grade is determined by the same flow, 2 graders and a finalizer, and all need to agree just like any other coin.

It would be nice if an initial grader(s) who decides that the coin meets the minimum grade, crack out the coin and then send it to 2nd set of graders who would then provide an unbiased grade not knowing it was a crossover.

Of course this does open up a potential can of worms where the 2nd set of graders might grade lower or even worse find a problem causing no grade.

Thats life in the imperfect world of coin grading.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file