Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Nuestra Senora de Atocha Treasure - Mel Fisher Maritime Museum -

Spent a relaxing few days down in Key West, FL last week and went by Mel Fisher's Maritime Museum where they display the Atocha Treasure.

Thought everyone might like to see some pics:

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool photos! Lots of neat pieces in there, it seems. Worth a visit next time I'm in Florida.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, I haven't been there and the photos make me think I need to.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, fun. Thanks for the vicarious walkthrough.

When the recent tropical storm came through, it got me thinking that I need to pack up my detector and head down to try the treasure beaches around Sebastian inlet one of these days, at low tide after a storm. One beach is even called "half real beach" for what's been found there in large quantities.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Do you own all that?!? All kidding aside, is there a side market for sea salvage coins? I bought a nice 8R from the El Cazador and really enjoy the history of that ship's last voyage and how it could have changed the fate of the US. I then bought two 8R from a Stack's auction from the ship Hollandia. These have a provenance through QDB.
    Thanks for the dream of discovering sunken treasures.
    Paul
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the pictures. I definitely need to go to this museum.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    That is a cool museum. I am hoping to see the one in Sebastian later this year. I should walk the beach as well, just in case.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jackthecat1
    Thank you for the pictures. I definitely need to go to this museum.

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Some cool stuff there. Nice pics.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics, that would be fun to see.
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, thanks for posting.image
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Great pics dadams, did you buy a souvenir in the museumshop ?

Heres a piece of eight of the dutch Rooswijk VOC shipwreck:
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that yours, Andres?

That is a superb pillar dollar for a sea-salvaged example.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Paul,

I am certain there is a market for sea salvaged coins and coins with proven provenance to famous wrecks will always carry a premium. Of course condition, rarity and all that still plays a significant role.

--

Andres,

That is a pretty great pillar dollar for sea salvage.

I did visit the museum shop and enjoyed seeing the many things available for purchase, but alas, no purchase as I believe they are mostly overpriced. If I really wanted an Atocha coin I would buy one from the secondary market at discount.

--

I really do recommend stopping by the museum as there is lots to see and learn. All told we spent about two hours there and if I had been alone I could have killed another hour for sure. Glad you all enjoyed the pics.

Mel Fisher's Treasures
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Ahh, fun. Thanks for the vicarious walkthrough.

When the recent tropical storm came through, it got me thinking that I need to pack up my detector and head down to try the treasure beaches around Sebastian inlet one of these days, at low tide after a storm. One beach is even called "half real beach" for what's been found there in large quantities.

This detectoring business intrigues me. There is a vendor to our business who mentioned he had found a coin recently with his metal detector, which obviously sparked a much longer conversation. Couple weeks later I met up with him for lunch and he brought bags and bags of coins he had found going on organized hunts to England.

Sure would be fun to find real treasure out in the wild!

-d
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    @Rob, Yes its mine , first find was in 2005 , 2 chests with hundreds of pillars by a private english diver ,they are still found in the Goodwin sands till this day.

I visited the Keys in 1992, From the souvenir shop of Mel Fisher:

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.