Home Sports Talk
Options

Chaos is about to erupt in Cleveland.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have expected this for awhile now, that downtown Cleveland would be a madhouse and a place to avoid. The thing is that I didn't see it happening for over a month, at the Republican National Convention!! The way things have turned out it'll be happening in about 12 hours when the city celebrates the Cavalier's Championship. I'm not going but my girlfriend has the day off and will be in attendance.

By early accounts they are expecting several hundred thousand to attend, reports are that Clevelanders who have migrated to other parts of the country are coming home for it, many businesses will be closed and lots of people will probably call in sick . I can't imagine that many people but the news reports seemed confident in what they were saying. To make matters interesting, the whole parade/celebration was thrown together hastily and no Port-a-potty's will be available!!!image

Can anyone speak to what an event like this might be like, maybe someone with an account of what it was like when the Red Sox won the World Series a few years back?? If it was a Baseball or Football Championship they could pack those venues, but this will be held out on the streets. If I can get some pictures to add I'll do that tomorrow evening.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets

I have expected this for awhile now, that downtown Cleveland would be a madhouse and a place to avoid. The thing is that I didn't see it happening for over a month, at the Republican National Convention!! The way things have turned out it'll be happening in about 12 hours when the city celebrates the Cavalier's Championship. I'm not going but my girlfriend has the day off and will be in attendance.

By early accounts they are expecting several hundred thousand to attend, reports are that Clevelanders who have migrated to other parts of the country are coming home for it, many businesses will be closed and lots of people will probably call in sick . I can't imagine that many people but the news reports seemed confident in what they were saying. To make matters interesting, the whole parade/celebration was thrown together hastily and no Port-a-potty's will be available!!!image

Can anyone speak to what an event like this might be like, maybe someone with an account of what it was like when the Red Sox won the World Series a few years back?? If it was a Baseball or Football Championship they could pack those venues, but this will be held out on the streets. If I can get some pictures to add I'll do that tomorrow evening.

Al H.

I been to several in Detroit. You are going to have a blast!!! Heaven. Get a front row or high ground.

Enjoy

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

Originally posted by: keets

Al H.

I have been to several in Detroit. You are going to have a blast!!! Heaven. Get a front row or high ground. Wear sunscreen

Enjoy

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year it happened in Oakland along the shores of Lake Merritt. Huge crowds, well behaved with the city basically shut down for a party. Standing room only. Last February it happened in Denver after the Broncos won the Superbowl. The celebration took place at Denver's Civic Center. The crowd was estimated to be close to a million people. The city shut down. Kids were taken out of school by parents to attend. A friend of mine sent me pictures. I have never seen so many people packed together.

Cleveland will have a fun time today. Enjoy the party.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when we got up this morning we turned on the local news and they were already covering it at 5:30, people camping out since midnight along the parade route, streaming into the city from all over the State, ready to whoop it up and on the verge of an emotional breakdown. that's the fans.............................I can't imagine what it must be like to be a player, especially a younger player who has never experienced this kind of success throughout their career. to see and hear a throng like that must be overwhelming.

while they were reporting and panning the streets I did notice lines of Port-a-Pottys!!!

Casey left the house at around 6:25 to go pick up her daughter for the half-hour ride to downtown, she's pretty whipped up. I don't know where she'll park but she works for the VA and might be able to get her spot in the parking garage at the Federal Building. that's close to ground zero where they showed crews still trying to erect the final touches on where all the speeches will be, Mall B. in an ironic Numismatic coincidence, the celebration will be held at the very same location where the 1936 Great Lakes Centennial Exposition was held. that event was held over a wide area of downtown but the principal location was the Mall area.

that Exposition was held 75 years ago this summer, almost to the day, opening on June 27th, 1936. how cool would it have been to geeks like us if they'd have waited till Sunday to have this??image