Home Precious Metals

PM price checker 6/20/16

piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
Made the local rounds today, stopped at 4 coin stores and this is what what being offered.

VG-XF Peace Dollar, Common Dates. Didn't matter if it was VG or XF, $20/coin.

1921 Morgans VG-VF, $20/coin.

Very generic "happy anniversary", "graduation" 1 oz rounds, $25/round.

Typical, not worn down Dime & Quarter 90%, $13.00 x face.

Walker, Franklin & '64 Kennedy Halves, $13.40 x face.

Raw, with box & cert. 1/10 oz Mercury Gold Dime, $225. PCGS SP70, $270.

There was some other gold, but I didn't bother to ask because I'm sure there was no deal to be had based on above pricing of other things.

Oh, and I burned up about 1/4 tank of gas and I have heartburn now from eating at a Chinese buffet.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    wow, why are generic rounds so high? I haven't bought any silver in a month.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report. The premiums on 90% seem to have gone down. $25 for generic rounds seems out of touch...
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well at least you had fun, your picture sure looks deliriously happy, maybe even a little deranged, what with the joy of it all.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CyStater

Thanks for the report. The premiums on 90% seem to have gone down. $25 for generic rounds seems out of touch...

There is a glut of silver on the market right now.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, expensive !!!
    Timbuk3
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN

There is a glut of silver on the market right now.

Not here there isn't , last week on Friday I had to take a half dozen loose 40% ikes and 2 rolls of war nickles when I was looking for 90%. The 6 ikes were $33 and the war nickles were $35 a roll but some were pretty nice XF coins . A lot of people turn their noses up at the nickles but at a little back of melt I like them.

There were ASE's at $23 at one place which I passed on . $6 over is ridiculous

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭

Down? I thought the pricing on the 90% was way high.

The guy selling the generic rounds claims that's what he's getting from the public. With it being graduation season, he probably is.

He had a few common 10 oz Engelhards too, but wanted $250.

I passed on everything. Sucks wanting to buy but having to pay what I felt were high premiums, not low. So I kept my cash for another time.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • EarendilEarendil Posts: 243 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: piecesofme

The guy selling the generic rounds claims that's what he's getting from the public. With it being graduation season, he probably is.

I passed on everything. Sucks wanting to buy but having to pay what I felt were high premiums, not low. So I kept my cash for another time.

What kind of pricing are you used to on 90% junk silver? At least where I am, a premium of 0.50 face over the current "melt value" (12.5x face) would be absolutely fabulous pricing. Just yesterday, the cheapest I was able to find was 14x face. Typically, the absolute lowest anyone in my area goes is 1-2 multiples of face over that day's basic "melt value" level.

I used to buy a lot of silver from a store which charged the same decent price for all 90% junk silver (dimes, quarters, and half dollars). This was generally around 12-12.5x face, even when silver got up to $17/ ounce.

However, about a month ago, he sold out to someone who now charges a very healthy premium (and a premium on top of a premium for Mercury Dimes and all 3 half dollar types).

The new owner of that particular store also charges more if a coins looks less worn to him, if he thinks they're better dates, if you don't buy in bulk, if you want to actually look at what you're purchasing, and if you want to select a specific coin/ type combination.

Yesterday, I asked about purchasing 2 Franklin half dollars for a roll I'm working on, and he almost wouldn't sell them to me. He complained about not being able to sell in bulk (he wanted me to buy the whole $20-$30 face bag of junk silver halves he had, sight unseen). Then, after weighing a possible sale to me, he only pulled out a few half dollars for me to choose from once I made it clear I didn't have that kind of money on me. I selected a well worn 1949-P and an about uncirculated 1963-D. However, he mentioned that the 1949 didn't belong in the junk silver bag, and that it would cost more because it was a "second year coin." Eventually I think he realized he was getting a bit excessive with all his conditions and stipulations, and quoted a price of 15X face. I gave him $15 and left.

I guess the point of this story is, you don't have it too bad. image
  • CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: piecesofme

Around here a little while back 90% was going for 14X to 15X face in the shops when silver was lower. Not sure how much was selling then and I haven't checked around lately. Shows were at 13.5X if you were lucky.