Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp: Augsburg City View Taler

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
Coin stands out in its strike and luster. While it does not have the toned look I prefer, I have yet to see such sharp details in a city view. It should get properly imaged.

1626 (in Roman numerals). Augsburg as free state. Struck in the name of Ferdinand II as Holy Roman Emperor (1578 -1637) Taler. DAV-5024. Forster 182. 43mm. Mint master. Balthasar Schmidt . Obv: Crowned and nimbate eagle facing, head left, with wings displayed, holding scepter and sword; globus cruciger below. Rev: City view of Augsburg; above, two cherubs supporting pine cone set on ornate base. Lustrous coin with very sharp strike and details. NGC MS-64.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Now I am convinced that you are minting these yourself. That one seals the deal.

Just kidding - great piece Z. Wonderful details

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: worldcoinguy

Now I am convinced that you are minting these yourself. That one seals the deal.

Just kidding - great piece Z. Wonderful details

I must admit, my reaction is sometimes, "Geez, where does he get this stuff?"

But yes- awesome as usual. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Beautifull Taler, congrats Zohar.
    Reverse legend: AUGUSTA VINDELICORUM the old roman name for Augsburg , founded by Emperor Augustus (29 BC - 14 AD) in 15 BC
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely, awesome - and yup look at he crisp details.