Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

George IV NEWP

This is for my Sixpence type set, the 1821 is a one year type, and I like the design elements of the reverse.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, I got a VF range 1821 shilling last week.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Never seen all these on one coin, a thistle (Scotland) a clover /shamrock (Ireland) and a Tudor rose ? for England, very nice JCM , Congrats
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    That is an excellent sixpence.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice one, Jeff!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's great! image
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    King George IV trivia...or how a little marriage counseling might have changed the course of history.

King George had a contentious relationship with his wife Caroline, and thus only one legitimate heir, Princess Charlotte. Princess Charlotte eventually died in childbirth after delivering a stillborn son (a long and suffering labor mostly of interest to obstetricians).

This led to Victoria becoming the heir to the throne and eventually, through her descendants, hemophilia was introduced into the ruling houses of Germany, Russia, and Spain. Her youngest son, Prince Leopold, also suffered.

It was most likely a de novo or spontaneous mutation that started either with Victoria, or perhaps in her mother and Victoria's two siblings happened to not inherit the afflicted X chromosome. Neither Victoria's mother nor father's family had a history to suggest prior hemophilia...unless one of her parents wasn't who we thought it was, which is unlikely. Up to 30% or so of mutations are de novo and not familial, so this is much more likely the situation.

In any case, 'the Royal Disease' and it's impact would have been quite different had either Charlotte produced a living heir, or if King George and Queen Caroline had managed to reconcile enough to provide a second (or more) child(ren). If Victoria had not been Queen her children would likely have not been so well married into the other ruling houses...and the so-called Royal Disease would at the very least had a different name.

That's what I always think of when I see good old King George IV.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saw this! Super example JCM!

Love it!
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-