Home Sports Talk
Options

Do you think MLB stadiums should be a standard size...

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
for the outfield fences distance? Say 310' left/right field and 410' to center or some such number. Obviously there is uniformity for the infield base paths etc. What about foul ball territory? Different at each ball park. The other 3 major sports have equal defined distances for their playing areas and all are the same for each game for every team. Is that more fair in regard to judging pers. stats accumulated? Would this bring MLB into a more equal way to judge HR's? I suppose at COORS field this would not be conducive and the fences would still have to be farther out due to the mile high air. We all know that certain park dimensions/fields (grooming) are set up for home teams. Just wondering if such a plan if enacted would be more fair for all. I know highly unlikely and leave tradition alone.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting idea- the ship sailed on that question back in the day.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    While we're at it, a standardized method of selecting players should be implemented as well. If every player was equally talented without any enhancements, the exact same workout routine, foods, supplements, wife, kids, location of residence......and pets, the game could be on perfectly equal footing. No complaints about competitive edges, ballpark dimensions, equipment, drugs........NOTHING. Just guys playing ball.

The stadium standardization may have begun way back when and probably went something like this.......

"There's a rock over there by third base. We can't have that. The other ballpark doesn't have that rock."

"Yeah, but at the other ballpark they have rabbits in the outfield. And mice. Each place that we play has a special feature. We look forward to playing there because it's different."
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be ok with that idea.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt want the same dimensions at every ballpark.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you imagine if the rim height at every home gym was slightly different, or if the field/endzone dimensions were all different for football stadiums. Just seems to make sense for baseball. I guess it strikes many as irreverent in baseball because it has "always been that way"

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    I think we should dig a big hole and place Coor's field in it and mount the other stadiums on stilts to even out atmospheric pressure.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44

I guess it strikes many as irreverent in baseball because it has "always been that way"

Why change things? As you said "they've always been that way." If they were to be the same throughout, Id prefer it to be whatever is considered an avergae sized ball park.. not necessarily a pitchers or hitters park to do away with "Well he played in this park and it was condusive to .. (whatever)".
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the fact that baseball has different dimensions for their playing fields.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Well the infield part is always the same and all parks built after 1958 must have at least 325 feet at the foul poles and at least 400 feet to center field...doesn't that count?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Estil

Well the infield part is always the same and all parks built after 1958 must have at least 325 feet at the foul poles and at least 400 feet to center field...doesn't that count?
    When a new stadium is built replacing the old stadium, are the previous outfield dimensions transferable even if they are more/less than your above stated qualifying dimensions? And does the pre/post 1958 rule you state come into play if the new stadium replaces one built before/after 1958? Must the previous dimensions be adhered to?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".