Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Seriously !!!!

This note might be priced a TAAAAAD bit on the high side.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FR-195...424:g:w0MAAOSwiYFXGnCa

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Lol!!!
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    "Just add a zero" pricing theory.

Lot 18997 Federal Reserve Notes

Fr. 1958-G Star $5 1934B Federal Reserve Note. PMG Very Fine 25.

Bid Source: HA.com/Live

Lot # 18997

Service PMG

Grade Very Fine 25

Auction Ended

Sep 5, 2014

Auction Archives

Sold For: $1,292.50

• Options
    ugh that's a bad look
  • Options
    MEC2MEC2 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    Jeez is it Cabaniss Currency or Cannabis Currency?
  • Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    That's silly.
  • Options
    This guy has some nice world notes, priced x5, X10 market price. I think some of those guys just bragging. They don't want to sell.
    Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • Options
    goodpapergoodpaper Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    Maybe Mr. Cannabis thought it was, like, a quantity of 25. I can see that, easy mistake to make, you know, like so many numbers, man.
    "Specializing in Small Size US currency but likely to buy anything high grade or interesting".
  • Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    He currently has a note on my want list.
    He paid $850.
    I offered $1400.
    He said no.
    He is asking $4999.
    What do I do? Just say no????

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: KT5Silver

YES!!! if it were me.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options

He currently has a note on my want list.

He paid $850.

I offered $1400.

He said no.

He is asking $4999.

Unless there is someone else willing to pay a lot more than $1400, he will want to move it out of his inventory at some point.

There are a number of notes I really want which I've passed because the dealer wouldn't accept a reasonable offer. In several cases, they later showed up at auction and went for less than I was offering before. Others, I'm waiting.

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jim61

YES!!! if it were me.

Is that a yes no, or a no yes ? ;c)
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Just say no???? - YES!!!! Walk away.

Hopefully that cleared it up.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Counter offer $1200!
  • Options
    Might be leelove's cousin!

• Options
    I'm glad some of you find it amusing to crack jokes about my name and prices of some of the items on my eBay site....frankly I find it rather childish. Most of the notes I have priced way above current market suggested values are items that are consigned to me by a client that is in no hurry to sell. The rest of my inventory belongs to me and is much closer to common market pricing. On items I own, you will find that I can be quite fair in negotiating a sale which is why I have well over 11,000 feedback and 17,000 individual sales over the years. It doesnt matter what I or any of my clients paid for a note, what the asking price may be, or where the note comes from -- if a deal can be met between the two parties involved then so be it and if not life moves on to the next deal but to crack silly immature jokes on this forum seems like a waste of time to me. Ive done business with a lot of you on this forum over the years with nothing but 100% satisfaction and professional display so I find it quite disrespectful to see some of these remarks on the public forum.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jscabani1988

I'm glad some of you find it amusing to crack jokes about my name and prices of some of the items on my eBay site....frankly I find it rather childish....

Yes, that's an issue, but that's just part of life. I don't see anything on this thread that got that far out of hand. As a conscientious dealer, even you have to admit that trying to sell something at 5x or 10x market price is nuts. Do you really want to be the dealer that sells something so far over market pricing? It's one thing if two people run the price up at auction, that's their own fault for getting caught up in the heat of the sale.

I think this is a really big issue in this industry and is very volatile. Most of the time, the only way you will get that over-price is to find a new collector who doesn't know better. What happens to that collector that buys an overpriced note only to find out that they will never get their money out of that note? You just pissed off a new collector and may have put them off of buying anything else. Some will keep at it and learn from their mistake. At the very least you really soured a new buyer and you are the reason. Do you think that buyer will come back to you? No, he will be out telling everyone how you overcharged him.

I've been part of and witnessed untold number of deals over 25+ years and I know of many dealers that just flat out tell someone that their asking price is over the moon and they won't take the consignment. You may want to reconsider selling this collectors notes. And for the record, I was ripped off by a dealer many years ago. But as many on here do, they pick themselves up, mark it as a learning curve (so it doesn't sting so bad) and get back at it. To this day, I will NOT buy anything from that dealer. I see him almost monthly at shows too and he knows exactly why I won't buy from him even though he has notes I would buy.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    It's a good thing this is America with free speech and when people see something ridiculous, they can talk freely about it. Good job to some of you forums guys, please continue to speak up about (and even satire) a well-connected dealer, powerful grading company exec, etc. if you feel the urge. Hell, there's a guy on these forums that disparages me from time to time and I'd even tell him the same thing (even though I think he's odd). There's nothing wrong with discourse such as this. Essentially, this is the closest thing we have to a Yelp for currency dealers so don't feel a need to censor yourself (although many of you do and are probably finding this post deeply offensive). A ridiculous business practice calls for ridiculous comments, JC.

Side note: "with nothing but 100% satisfaction and professional display" - 2-3 week mailing times and unanswered email after email doesn't constitute a figure of 100% by the way and by the looks of the publicly-made feedback on the ebay platform, 100% is hardly an appropriate term as well.

Final note for anyone considering spending $13k on a heavily-circulated, over-rated small size star note: I got the 1/0 VF35 example on eBay last year for around $400 and paid $200-some for the other VF25 in Pop, so I'd hold out for something way better for way under a grand.

• Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Pibbthug- nice to see you post. You continue to have and offer incredible notes. Hopefully I'm not the one that you thought was odd. But either way I will continue to look at and when the opportunity presents itself buy notes from you.

• Options
    techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭
    Well, the note does have the lowest observed serial number; but don't think it's worth the

asking price. As for a "Make Offer" price--Let your budget be your guide.

Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    Great thread, lots of meaty responses!
  • Options
    I certainly never attempt to disparage or make personal attacks on anyone (ad hominem is the sign of a weak argument). As a person who has purchased a few notes from Mr. Cabannis and received good service, this is not about him.

But, certainly, pricing a note 10X what it recently sold at a Heritage Auction begs for comment and a practice that is ripe for ridicule. And, though a consignor dictated the price, it is Mr. Cabannis' name that is out there (not the consignor's).

This particular note has bounced around for a while. First on Scott Lindquist's site, then consigned to Heritage (where it got all the money in my estimation), now being flogged on ebay for more than stupid money.
  • Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: DepressionscripGuy

Yes, that's an issue, but that's just part of life. I don't see anything on this thread that got that far out of hand. As a conscientious dealer, even you have to admit that trying to sell something at 5x or 10x market price is nuts. Do you really want to be the dealer that sells something so far over market pricing? It's one thing if two people run the price up at auction, that's their own fault for getting caught up in the heat of the sale.

I think this is a really big issue in this industry and is very volatile. Most of the time, the only way you will get that over-price is to find a new collector who doesn't know better. What happens to that collector that buys an overpriced note only to find out that they will never get their money out of that note? You just pissed off a new collector and may have put them off of buying anything else. Some will keep at it and learn from their mistake. At the very least you really soured a new buyer and you are the reason. Do you think that buyer will come back to you? No, he will be out telling everyone how you overcharged him.

I've been part of and witnessed untold number of deals over 25+ years and I know of many dealers that just flat out tell someone that their asking price is over the moon and they won't take the consignment. You may want to reconsider selling this collectors notes. And for the record, I was ripped off by a dealer many years ago. But as many on here do, they pick themselves up, mark it as a learning curve (so it doesn't sting so bad) and get back at it. To this day, I will NOT buy anything from that dealer. I see him almost monthly at shows too and he knows exactly why I won't buy from him even though he has notes I would buy.

Great post and I agree 100%.

• Options
    KT, you'd be odd only if Pursuit of Perfection and Driving a Hard Bargain were unusual concepts. Keep kicking @ss, my friend.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    at least theres free shipping and no communications. wtfo and jmo
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Not to bring this thread back up, but he is not the fastest shipper in the world either.

I hope that is all I have to say about that.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would a dealer be willing to take a note on consignment with such an inflated price? It makes no sense to me as someone looking for such a note would likely do a bit of research and see that $13,k is way out of line. Then it is the dealer's reputation that takes the hit as the customer for such a note just went away with a sour taste in his mouth and will likely never look at that dealers offerings again.

But, the consignor's reputation is untarnished and he can just pull the note and offer it to another dealer. He can adjust the price as he sees fit as long as he finds another patsy to put it up.

I think that this seller is bringing these comments upon himself.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MEC2MEC2 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    I cannot suffer the phony indignation - consigned or not, you are doing business publicly, if you don't want to read feedback on your business practices, go get a desk job. I guess if I was trolling for 10x reasonable cost I'd act all offended too, since I couldn't defend what I was actually doing either. Your name is on the shingle, if you don't want the rep you are getting in this thread, don't accept that kind of business. Seems pretty simple to me... disclosure, have bought from seller on two occasions, small value notes, with no problems whatsoever.
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    I always assumed someone selling at a large multiple was asking to be contacted outside of the bay.