Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A couple newps

Won two coins in last night's Heritage auction. Nothing of great value, but designs I quite like.

====================

The 1943 Bulgaria 5 Leva is surprisingly hard to find in UNC given the mintage was 36,000,000 coins! Despite the description on the coin of it being "Krum" on horseback -- this is actually a picture of the Madara Rider rock relief. Research and further study of the design since the 1940s has suggested that it is not Krum at all, but that the rock relief dates to about a century before Krum's rule around the year 700 and ruler Tervel.

Been looking for this one for a very long time for my horses coin set. This one has some nice toning also, which is quite unusual for a nickel-clad steel coin. This is horse-coin #264 in my set. image

====================

The 1917 Serbia 20 Para is a lovely design, and I fell in love with the high relief of the obverse eagle design. This is a copper-nickel composition coin, with a mintage of 5 million. Usually comes circulated, but it is available in gem UNC if one is patient. image

-Brandon
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Comments