Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Another reason against a cashless society....

Oklahoma has just implemented an expansion of the asset forfeiture process. For those of you not familiar with asset forfeiture, most states have this in place. It's when a cop / law enforcement suspect you of doing something wrong, they can take your assets right then and there before you are convicted of any criminal offense. In some cases, they can take your property before you are even charged with a crime. Most states make it very difficult to get your possessions / money back. It can take years and lots of attorney fees to get it back even when you were never charged / convicted of any crime.

This was all started with good intentions to put a hurt on drug dealers that carry wads of cash and drive really nice vehicles. Seize their ill gotten gains as it is... But alot of states expanded it to basic traffic offenses and tow your car and seize your cash on hand just because they think you might of done something wrong. If you are pulled over for speeding but have X amount of cash then you must of gotten that cash illegally. Why would you have $400 cash on you? You were pulled over on the highway in a area known for drug running so you must be part of that and the cash is from drug running right? All they have to do is suspect you of doing something wrong. No proof necessary. Their proof is the large amount of cash....

Now Oklahoma has uped the anty... they scan your bank / credit cards in hand and seize your bank assets also. Link. This could really put a hurt on the average joe pulled over for speeding and has unpaid traffic tickets in his background with a warrant. Every bit of you cash and now your bank account empty.
Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade

Comments

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    That's some scary sh*t.I have heard of civil forfeiture but not this (all too convenient) credit card scanner to clean out your bank account .............protect and serve.....themselves!
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big poker guy and this thread reminded me of this story from back in 2009.

U.S. Feds Confiscate Poker Pro's Winnings
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Here in Massachusetts, if you "drive" your car without auto insurance, or no registration, the police will have your car towed on the spot.

Key word is drive (never use this word in court). We have the fundamentally protected right to travel... key word is travel.

The key is to learn your rights and stick it to them in court. I can say this from experience, I've been there.

Once I learned what to say and what not to say, I started to be left alone. Once I started going to court and winning, that was it. Problem is, most people pay their tickets because it is time consuming to fight back, and that is what the system counts on.

Long story short, there is nothing to be afraid of. We the people have the power. We just need to learn how to properly use it, and not be afraid to use it. Fear is a powerful force, but faith, hope, and love are even more powerful.