Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Please explain how this card graded a 2

JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
I inspected it VERY carefully for creases and wrinkles and did not see any.

Can anyone see what I missed?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mech error on the grade portion of the label. Happens from time to time. Unfortunately it is not a mech error that they will fix for free even though it is obviously wrong, since they probably don't have data for the grade the grader intended anymore. Crack and resub. That is a very nice example from a tough 1967 Venezuelan set, congrats.
  • Options
    I hope your right. I was going to crack it out and send it in with my next sub. I have been looking for an upgrade on mine for years. I really don't think I missed a wrinkle. Surface looked defect free.

Was hoping for a 5-6.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    I don't see a pin hole, doesn't add up without a hole. NICE card. The Dude
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TheDudeAbides

I personally have never seen a PSA 2 with a pinhole; thought those are an automatic 1.

• Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Originally posted by: miwlvrn

Originally posted by: TheDudeAbides

I personally have never seen a PSA 2 with a pinhole; thought those are an automatic 1.

They are.

Nice card Joe!
  • Options
    Had this graded correctly, I might be back in first place. PSA and the registry can be fun bit also frustrating!

Thanks for the kind words guys!!!!!!

If at first you don't succeed, well, you know.......resubmit!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a tiny bit of paperloss on the back center? From the first 'e' in 'derecha' through the 's' in 'pesa'. If not, no idea on why it's a 2.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

Is there a tiny bit of paperloss on the back center? From the first 'e' in 'derecha' through the 's' in 'pesa'. If not, no idea on why it's a 2.

Sometimes the magnification that we see in the OP still does not show surface issues like that compared to just holding the card in your hands. Take a close look for any tiny specks of surface paper flaws on back looking at the card and see if you see anything you missed before.
  • Options
    I've spent way too long looking at this and trying to figure it out. Here's the 3 areas I would check really closely on the back in hand....
    From left to right:
    1. If that's a scratch on the card and not the case, could be a reason for the 2 (deep enough to see white through the blue)
    2. Previously mentioned
    3. Looks like a lot of dust inside the plastic stabilizer in general and this one could just be an artifact of that, but I would double check for some sort of bubble/divot to be sure.

Something looks funky with the 'o' in 'mento' at the start of the 2nd to last line of text as well, but doesn't appear it could be surface related.

Great looking card regardless and is going to be either one that presents much better than it's technical grade or another case of, to paraphrase Johnnie Cochran, 'if the grade doesn't fit, you must resubmit'.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just guesses here. There seems to be a white scratch on the right arm sleeve (dark one). It goes SW to NE. Possible surface blister? And all of the left vertical border to the upper left corner seems discolored, as well as intermittent discoloration across the top border. They do not appear as white as the right border. Fish eye on reverse as well. As usual hard to be certain unless card in hand.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I think Larkin and BlueJay nailed both areas that I was thinking. Scratch on sleeve and missing paper spot. This card is very nice and I could see this card receive a 2 one day and a 5 the next day.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Here's a couple of better scans;

Possible glue residue on reverse, so light you can hardly tell it's there (if it even is).

• Options
    I would resub until it gets at least a 4. Perhaps the potential of glue residue is what caused the initial grade, but I don't see the same possible issues in the current scan other than some discoloration previously mentioned.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector
    I would resub until it gets at least a 4. Perhaps the potential of glue residue is what caused the initial grade, but I don't see the same possible issues in the current scan other than some discoloration previously mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback. It's going back in.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On your newer scan the scratch (?) I had previously noted on the right arm brown sleeve is gone. Could of been something on your scanner. Good luck with the resub.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BLUEJAYWAY
    On your newer scan the scratch (?) I had previously noted on the right arm brown sleeve is gone. Could of been something on your scanner. Good luck with the resub.

Scanner was dirty.