Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British Caribbean Territories 50 Cents 1955, a busy reverse

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 11, 2023 7:01PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum
This ordinary 30mm copper-nickel coin has a "busy" reverse:

British Caribbean Territories 50 Cents 1955

This coin was the largest of a group of coins issued by the the Currency Board of the British Caribbean Territories / Eastern Group as a common currency called the British West Indies dollar.

The Territories included British Guiana, and the islands of Barbados, the British Virgin Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, the Leeward Islands (including Anguilla, St. Kitts and Nevis, Antigua), and the Windward Islands, (including Dominica, Grenada, St. Lucia and St. Vincent).

Some of these island names are familiar as hangouts of pirates.

The coin obverse has Britain's Queen Elizabeth II facing right and the legend "QUEEN ELIZABETH THE SECOND".

The reverse is more interesting with emblems of the various territories and islands of the territory.

Barbados - Badge with female figure standing in a shell being drawn across the sea by two sea-horses

Leeward Islands - Badge with five shields

Trinidad and Tobago - Badge with a mountain, a ship in a harbor and the motto "MISCERIQUE PROBAT POPULOS ET FOEDERA JUNGI" from Virgils Aeneid (He approves of the mingling of the peoples and their bonds of union)

Windward Islands - Badge with four quarters

British Guiana - Badge with sailing ship and the motto "DAMUS PETIMUSQUE VICISSIM" (We give and take in return)

The engraver was Thomas Humphrey Paget who designed many coins and medals for the British Empire.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't seen that one before, I know the cents from 1958 were a big deal because they only made 50 of them.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool design. First one for me, as well.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin, same age as me image
    The hippocampi pulling a shell with Pallas Athena (Brittannia) , daughter of Zeus, she is holding a trident from het fosterparent Triton.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Have this one also image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite like the design. Here's mine from 1965...

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always liked this type. I've found a couple of them in bulk lots, which was a pleasant change from the usual smaller-denomination pieces.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a great design. I have never seen a description of the emblems of the different islands - interesting indeed.