Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1963 Topps Pete Rose - 1963 Rookie Stars #537 PSA Gem Mint 10.

Perfect timing on selling this one as rookie Pete prices have exploded! #537
Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • NamesJayNamesJay Posts: 328 ✭✭
    I predict it will fetch $73,500.
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: NamesJay

Lol I think your missing a 0
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went for $157k in 2012.

Easily half a million.
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: addicted2ebay
    Originally posted by: NamesJay

Lol I think your missing a 0

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have a PSA 10 1968 Ryan RC listed too. I'll be curious to see where both that one and Rose end up for sales prices.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think a half mil easily on the rose.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: psychump
    Perfect timing on selling this one as rookie Pete prices have exploded! #537

I do not think it would receive a 10 today. Upper left corner shows very, very minor wear/chip when zooming. Still...it probably will sell north of $750k. My two cents...

mint_only_pls
  • The Rose 10? Current gen slab. It did receive a 10 "today"
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see what your saying about that upper left corner there is a touch there. For a ten, that would really bug me.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These eyes see 5-6 white and 5-6 blue dots in the blue date area on the front and what is that under Pedro's bill of his cap,fish eye? Also a white spot south east of Weis head by black border line.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BLUEJAYWAY
    These eyes see 5-6 white and 5-6 blue dots in the blue date area on the front and what is that under Pedro's bill of his cap,fish eye? Also a white spot south east of Weis head by black border line.

I had noticed before what appears to be a print fish eye under the bill of Pedro's cap. No way is this a "10"..."9" yes...but not a 10 then or now! The best arguments precluding a Gem Mint grade are the upper left corner and the blemish under Pedro's bill.

mint_only_pls
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Wonder why the card is in the condom wrap??
  • travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Dmitri is relieved to know that he dumped such a crummy card.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: VictorLaszlo

The Rose 10? Current gen slab. It did receive a 10 "today"

It was recently reholdered but cert is an old one.

Beautiful card. If you magnify a card like this 50x its normal size, you are going to see slight flaws. A 10 is not a perfect card. Personally, I don't feel it is overgraded, though I would agree it may be closer to a 9 than a 10. The difference between many 9s and 10s is negligible and can go either way depending on the day, anyway.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what can be gleaned from all this input on this 10 is not all 10's are created equal.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BLUEJAYWAY

So what can be gleaned from all this input on this 10 is not all 10's are created equal.

That is also true with any other grade.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    Why the redaction of Dmitri Young's name on the new flip? Seller must think more $$$ without the name.

Can't be surprised that this 10 came up for the sale. The ridiculous prices on the 7's and 8's that were sold recently lured this bad boy out of his hole.

We can probably assume with some of the other "suspect" bidding on HOF 7's and 8's that more of these one-off 10's will show up soon. Not saying this Rose sale was by design, but certainly has that appearance.
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Originally posted by: Sdub
    Why the redaction of Dmitri Young's name on the new flip? Seller must think more $$$ without the name.

Can't be surprised that this 10 came up for the sale. The ridiculous prices on the 7's and 8's that were sold recently lured this bad boy out of his hole.

We can probably assume with some of the other "suspect" bidding on HOF 7's and 8's that more of these one-off 10's will show up soon. Not saying this Rose sale was by design, but certainly has that appearance.

Well, either there is too much money on the table not to sell the only PSA 10 or the other sales were all by design. I wonder if the same person/company bought up the other Dimitri key cards. It all seems suspect but I'm sure there is new blood in the hobby that's going to throw $700K in his/her new hobby.
  • SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 3BoyzTrading

Originally posted by: Sdub

Well, either there is too much money on the table not to sell the only PSA 10 or the other sales were all by design. I wonder if the same person/company bought up the other Dimitri key cards. It all seems suspect but I'm sure there is new blood in the hobby that's going to throw $700K in his/her new hobby.

IMO, this card is so iconic, it didn't need the "pump and dump" of those 7's and 8's selling for more than 9's. It will command an astronomical high price regardless. The Rose touches both the modern buyers in their 40's, and it reaches the retired buyers in their 70's with loads of disposable income.

Listing at Heritage, based in Texas, assures the buyer that he's 100% guaranteed to be shilled. If you want the best, get ready to shill out the dough.
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15
    Originally posted by: VictorLaszlo
    The Rose 10? Current gen slab. It did receive a 10 "today"

It was recently reholdered but cert is an old one.

Beautiful card. If you magnify a card like this 50x its normal size, you are going to see slight flaws. A 10 is not a perfect card. Personally, I don't feel it is overgraded, though I would agree it may be closer to a 9 than a 10. The difference between many 9s and 10s is negligible and can go either way depending on the day, anyway.

So true. Bottom line: paying big bucks for a 10 may be a good investment, but it's a dumb move from a collecting standpoint. If cracked, it would almost certainly not get a 10 again. Not just this card, but every 10. An attractive 9 is the same card for 90% less money. No brainer to me.