Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Favorite Eight Faces

jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

LordMarcovan's photo montage, displayed in his signature line, inspired me to examine my collection in a different light. I generally think about dates, types, grades and values; and I visualize linked pairs of obverse and reverse sides. Of course, I enjoy learning about the history and personalities associated with the times, places and persons represented by the coins. But focusing on eye appeal gave me the freedom to consider just one face and allowed for a more artistic judgement. Still, I settled on a representative date range and a variety of types and countries. They are all world crowns but that is what I collect. Curiously, none are my most costly; several are details grades. And apparently I don't value the appearance of busts greatly. I think I've learned a few things that will guide my future collecting decisions.

I like the concept of a montage as a way to view a select group of coins as opposed to scrolling through a sequence of separate photos, although it may take some photo editing skill. What are your favorite eight faces?

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post! image
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I Like your dutch silver rider from Utrecht , jgenn which year is it ?

Dont have the time to make a selection of 8 coins, but here are a few coins I bought in the last couple of months.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for noticing!

Not all of the eight in my sigline montage are my costliest ones, either. I had to go with the ones that looked the best when shrunken down to that small size.

I really love that toned "horsie" coin (Brunswick-something-or-other, is it?) at #2 in your array, and the cityview piece at #4.

Come to think of it, that rosebush is awfully cool, too!

Aw, heck, they're all great. And all crowns, you say? Impressive.

You too, Andres. I am envious of your Owl. (Am still "Owl-less" myself, but perhaps not for forever...)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    And I'm (still) envious of your coin first in your sig line image
    check out the current owls for sale on CNG auctions
    Owls from Athens
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Andres, the Utrecht ducaton is from 1791.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin and all image
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice posts...I wish I could take better pictures of some of my coins!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Andres
    I Like your dutch silver rider from Utrecht , jgenn which year is it ?

Dont have the time to make a selection of 8 coins, but here are a few coins I bought in the last couple of months.

Bottom right corner.....is that a shekel of tyre?

I've been watching ngc ancients with interest, getting close to purchasing something.
  • Options
    No. its a Byzantium follis Dave
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had some fun before breakfast while I put this together.

• Options
    coin art - beautifull colour mix
  • Options

Great selection of faces!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Swampboy

Excellent, Gil! image

Like me, you seem to be a true "eclectic". I love your mix of ancient and modern, Liteside and Darkside, with exonumia thrown in for good measure. That's a nice variety!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Can I play? Not necessarily all faces but coins or exonumia that mean something to me and my collection.

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    Mark-

Love the double-struck halfpenny. What's going on with the first coin, at top left? And what's the piece with a bridge engraved on it?

Looks great.

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Mark-

Love the double-struck halfpenny. What's going on with the first coin, at top left? And what's the piece with a bridge engraved on it?

Looks great.

Hi LordM,

The top left is a New Zealand 50 cent struck on split planchet. The piece with the Sydney Harbor Bridge on it is actually a medallion struck on a surplus rivet left over from the construction of the bridge in 1932. They are iron and a great piece of memorabilia.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.