Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1869 25C BG-831 Cal Frac -- does a single example actually exist somewhere?

mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone know? Want to know whether or not I need to take this coin off my list... Don't want to chase a "story" but if one (or more) actually exists, I'd love some help image

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if it exists but the PCGS Price Guide value is $5000 in AU55.
  • Options
    FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    According to PCGS coinfacts there is 1 lonely survivor. And the coin has been given a rarity rating of 10.0, meaning an estimate of 1 remaining.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    BG-831 was auctioned on April 1956 so that it should exist. Many Calfracs collectors are also in mission to locate it.

For 1869 fractional coins, I would suggest you to locate an EEBD quarter gold fractional coin which is the very first gold fractional coin that was confessed by the US government that violated 1864 law on March 1869. For more info of the coin, please see "small California and territorial gold coins" by RH Burnie, 1955. On page 85, misc section, coin number 1 has more info. image

Happy hunting.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jcping
    BG-831 was auctioned on April 1956 so that it should exist. Many Calfracs collectors are also in mission to locate it.

That's very cool. 60 years since it's last sale.

How many cal fracs are unique?
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Based on BG book II, 32 calfracs are unique. Nevertheless, I believe at least 4 were not unique anymore, aka more were found between 2003 and now. I also saw, at least, two previous unknown varieties was identified in the last 13 years.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

I'm also searching for the BG-750, this one should be attainable. I only need it (the BG-750) and the BG-831 (prob never) to complete the 1869 set.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jcping said:

For 1869 fractional coins, I would suggest you to locate an EEBD quarter gold fractional coin which is the very first gold fractional coin that was confessed by the US government that violated 1864 law on March 1869. For more info of the coin, please see "small California and territorial gold coins" by RH Burnie, 1955. On page 85, misc section, coin number 1 has more info.

Happy hunting.

Who catalogued it? Is it possible that it was a misattribution?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file