Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mike Witt Black Box

So, I recently have been working with someone who found a bunch of these.....

I won't say how many now, but lets say you had 50 of these....what would you do ?

what would your strategy be after you pick one and decide to sell the rest ?

My original guess is there is about 100-200 in our known collectors hands, but obviously more out there we don't know about on the boards/ebay.

The value of these obviously goes down the more you find ?

what to do ?

thanks

rich
richtree@gmail.com

Buying:
Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Only one up on eBay for $200.
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    yeah, I have sold some for 1200$ but none have been circulating ever since the uncut sheet find from San Diego a few years back.

I think PSA graded one.....(even thought they told me no, lol)

I had a BGS graded one......but there was never thought to be a large population (unitl maybe now, lol).....

please help, discuss guys !!!!

thanks
    Buying:
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start selling them off slowly, problem is demand isn't that high so by the end I'd expect it to be a $100ish card. There was a run on eBay a year or so ago (1-3 available at any given time), after the first couple they all sold for $120-200.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stingray

Only one up on eBay for $200.

FWIW, looks like the seller of that one has a zero feedback and newly registered the ebay account 2 days before this thread began.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would start by not announcing it on a message board. The vast majority of folks that would be interested in an error card probably browse the message boards and if your goal is to bleed them into the market place letting others know that your supply is quite large in my view probably isn't the wisest move.

• richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    thanks., since I have been collecting again.....I was looking for a 1981 topps art howe wit a black smudge on his head called the witch hat (cause it looks like a witch hat)....anyone have it ?
    Buying:
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would second that letting everyone on a message board know about your find may not have been the best move. I would slowly let them out on the market

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Originally posted by: LarkinCollector
    Start selling them off slowly, problem is demand isn't that high so by the end I'd expect it to be a $100ish card. There was a run on eBay a year or so ago (1-3 available at any given time), after the first couple they all sold for $120-200.

PSA 7 Wit Black Box $185
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Rich

First, I had no idea what you were talking about until Kyle posted a link.

I checked the POP - only 10 have been graded.

So, IMO, unless these are "dribbled" out?

The bottom might fall out on them? Just my take.
    Mike
    Originally posted by: Stone193

And 9 more in BGS holders image
  • stanforddudestanforddude Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    After the PSA 7 from PWCC, I saw a 3-card lot go off by a zero-feedback seller for $406 ($135 average). Now that same seller has a 2-card lot running.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    With today's technology would it be possible to create your own black box on this card and have it look original?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • stanforddudestanforddude Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    The only known version of this card is WITH the black box.
    From the Junk Wax Gems weekly digest:

A card previously believed to be quite rare, with under 50 copies estimated in circulation has now jumped to closer to 1000 known copies with the recent discovery of an 800 count box filled with 1990 Upper Deck card 702, featuring Mike Witt. The cards were believed to have been pulled from production and destroyed, however, it appears that at least one box made their way out of the factory.

A collector named Gilbert claims to have found the box at a flea market in California. After corresponding privately with collectors he found via commenting on this blog, he took to posting at FreedomCardboard.com for more information on the Witt card. Here is a link to that discussion, which provides so very interesting information: Mike Witt 800ct Discovery Freedom Cardboard Forums Discussion

Below is the initial emails I received upon their discovery:

Hey guys,
    I have a guy looking for my help. I have been assisting him. He opened a factory set and instead of the high numbered set being included there were 100 Mike Witt Black Box's inside.
    He found in California, and my thought is that it is a employee box that was filled with them.
    Have either of you guys found any counterfiets of these ?
    More importantly, how can you tell counterfiet UD like the griffey to help him out.....
    Olbermann told me he had 12 and would buy any more from me.......
    and I knew of another 15 out there.....so I know there were appx 30 out there I know of.....
    What do you think this will do to the price....I told him the first one will sell for 400 and each one after less and less

And a follow up.
    May 31 at 8:28 AM
    scratch that....the Whole 800 were all mike witt black box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A very interesting situation which is certain to bring down the value of the Witt tremendously. While the card is still a great oddball piece of collecting history, the value on them has steadily decreased over the years with the last 10-20 copies discovered being offered for sale. 800 new copies entering the market will certainly see a major drop off after 50 or so have sold. Another question that comes of this is: how many of these boxes of Witts are out there? With UD's reputation for manufactured errors, extra "executive" print runs of hot cards and back door removal of hot cards in their early years, I would guess that this will not be the only find.
    UPDATE: July 12, 2016 post on FCB from the owner of nearly 800 Mike Witt errors:
    Gilbert writes:
    "Hey Guys,just wanted to update everyone on these cards,ive sold a total of 10 cards so far,some less then $100,my intentions was and will try to get them out to all collectors who would want one for their collection,I've made a lot more money from these then I can imagine for something I spend $10 on,talked to a lot of cool people from all over the U.S...made some friends and had a few who tried to take advantage,lol..but it has been an experience,its gotten me into the collection world,the guy I got them from continues to have a huge collection and I'm there every Saturday and Sunday looking thru them,And my "Gem Mint 10" is now on eBay,so I'm excited about that,i just want that card to be sold for a little higher then the most expensive one sold for(1300)...only time will tell,after that,i might sell a total of maybe 10 after that,but I won't give them away,lol...so after that,the will be put away...there might be over 800 cards,but not a lot out in the market,what hopefully they keep some value...I admire all you guys,maybe some day I can be a master collector like you all...have a great day people!
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to own one for the hell of it, but wouldn't spend more than $5 to $10 for one. Imagine what would happen to the 1990 Topps blackless if something like this was uncovered.
    Originally posted by: lahmejoon
    I'd like to own one for the hell of it, but wouldn't spend more than $5 to $10 for one. Imagine what would happen to the 1990 Topps blackless if something like this was uncovered.

Agreed, originally I was thinking of waiting until they were in the $50 range, but now that there's that many known I think your price range is more appropriate. So glad I didn't buy one in the $150-200 range when I'd considered it in the past.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would gladly pay $10 or so for one. I would really like to see the original photo and what the black box was covering up. Could it have been another billy ripken situation?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    When things are slow/standstill on the currency boards I come over here to see what's going. I collected cards when I was a kid like most boys. My favorite was the 61 woodies, so that shows how old I am. image I swung over to the linked thread to see wth the uproar was about. Can't believe he finds an 800 count lot and then announce it!

The following is what I would like to know. How did he manage to dig up such an old auction and have it work, including the bidding page??

------------------

clarkfan

I have no real expertise on the issue whatsoever, but one did sell in 2013 for $115 (through bidding, rather than buy it now price). I definitely haven't tracked the sale of that card, but at least that's 1 confirmed sale of it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111201543379...84.m1423.l2649

-----------

BTW, I spent my first 13 years in Milwaukee. To me the Braves died when they moved to Atlanta. image

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Glad to have you over on this side. Woodies were 1962.... And 87, but those suck.
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

Glad to have you over on this side. Woodies were 1962.... And 87, but those suck.

Told you I was old. image Memory's heading south. I do remember the 61 design, just needed my memory jogged. Worked part time in a collectible store and agree, those 87's sucked. Somewhere I have the scarce 58 Aaron Y/L I found where I worked about 30-35 years ago. Put it in a real mylar sleeve and 1/2" screw down.

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Sweet, would love to see the Aaron. Don't be a stranger on this side. And thank you for your service.
    Dug it up. image Which is scarcer, the yellow or white letter version?.

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

Originally posted by: Stone193

And 9 more in BGS holders image

And it looks like one more in an SGC holder (SGC 96)