Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone remember the million dollar hwy?

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
This hwy was constructed with ore from a mine.
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    A very scenic road from Silverton CO to Ouray CO. Keep your eyes on the road as there are no guard rails and it's a LONG way to the bottom! It's a drive of only about 25 miles but well worth the trip if in the area. Rumor says the gold mine tailings used in the construction of the highway contained a "million $" in gold (unrecoverable by mining techniques of the day) but who really knows.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I drove it back in the 1990's. I was so very glad when I got to the end. Scary!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricman

A very scenic road from Silverton CO to Ouray CO. Keep your eyes on the road as there are no guard rails and it's a LONG way to the bottom! It's a drive of only about 25 miles but well worth the trip if in the area. Rumor says the gold mine tailings used in the construction of the highway contained a "million $" in gold (unrecoverable by mining techniques of the day) but who really knows.

The final leg of the 550 run up from Durango to Silverton isn't exactly for the faint of heart either.

Driving along the precipice overlooking the Animas River about 600-700 feet below can be rather intimidating. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am just shy of 70 now and this info was from a time when I was a preteenager from a gentleman about 60 or 70 at that time.

He calmed that most of the ore contained fools gold, and some real gold but just too little to get out at that time.

Great memories from that time. My oh my how times have changed and NOT always for the better.

He also took me into a mine and some how I got a rock with silver running through it.

I had it for years until I when overseas and returned it was lost.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coindeuce
    Originally posted by: ricman

The final leg of the 550 run up from Durango to Silverton isn't exactly for the faint of heart either.
    Driving along the precipice overlooking the Animas River about 600-700 feet below can be rather intimidating. image

Take the train from Durango to Silverton which runs immediately adjacent to the Animas River. A most scenic ride in the open cars along the rail bed cut into the side of the mountain with a straight drop down to the river hundreds of feet below.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no i dont remember that one, maybe its just as well.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Million Dollar Highway

Depending on who you ask, the origin of the name “Million Dollar Highway” varies from one extreme to another. One person may tell you that the road cost a million dollars a mile to build, another that the land was purchased for a million dollars. Another legend states that the fill dirt used to build the highway contains over a million dollars worth of gold ore, however, a personal favorite (stated by a poor lady who had no idea what they would be traveling over) was that she wouldn’t drive that road again in the winter for a million dollars. But don’t let that scare you!
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Million Dollar Highway (US-550) was a hell of a fun road to drive.

The big mine was the Idarado. A $20M superfund site.

Images of US-550 from 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file