Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British Coins - What are they worth?

PCGS 1845/3 VG10 1/2 Crown

1568 Elizabeth 1

Iceni Token - Pulled out of the ground, can't make out any details on the back and I'm too scared to try and clean it.

MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liz I sixpence is about $30-$40.

And dont clean the Iceni Token, most ancient collectors like them uncleaned. Dunno value.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krause apparently doesn't list prices for the 1845/3 variety halfcrown, so I suppose your best bet may be closed auctions.

If you can't find any for this particular coin (which is likely to be pop.1), you'll have to extrapolate pricing from other examples.

The 1568 QE1 sixpence, while well worn, is a pretty nice circulated example, to my way of thinking. Looks like a pretty good flan and a decent strike, with a full (if flat) portrait. On some in this grade range, the portrait can be really weak, I suppose due to uneven striking.

Dunno about the Celtic Iceni piece, but totally agree with bronzemat- It's clean enough to see the details, so leave it as it is, with the dug patina intact.

I really wanted to dig something like that when I was detecting in the UK, but it didn't happen. (A day after I left, though, someone in my group who stayed on found a gold Celtic stater!)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, the overdate piece has quite a bit of wear. I must confess that I can't see the overdate as clearly as I would like but assuming it so a WAG would be about 150-200. As with USA coins, value increases by leaps and bounds as one approaches uncirculated levels.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MillerJWMillerJW Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Thank You for the responses. There are bigger pictures of the overdate on the pcgs website when you put in the cert#31793462. But I agree I can't see the overdate either on the coin until the picture is zoomed in then it is obvious. However I bought it as a type coin and only paid $30 for it but realized it was a pcgs pop 1 and the British redbook lists the coin as extremely rare with no values.

I had to buy the iceni off of a local metal detector as I don't really have the time to get into the hobby here. I've been station in England at RAF Mildenhall the last 2.5 years so I've tried to amass a small collection of British and local tokens from the area here. The Liz 1 was also a coin he found, I figured by buying coins off of metal detectors I'm just supporting the hobby.
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

I really wanted to dig something like that when I was detecting in the UK, but it didn't happen. (A day after I left, though, someone in my group who stayed on found a gold Celtic stater!)

Well, good thing that you weren't there Rob, to have to display good sportsmanship and the likes when all you truly wanted was a bit of luck ,better divided among the group. And all this time I was thinking that nothing could have gone worse for you in that trip. image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3